Family of 8 on 1 month road trip adventure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When talking about a travel trailer be clear whether you mean 37 ft overall or a 37 foot house (box). Generally we mean the house size, which will be 3-4 feet shorter than the overall length (which includes the trailer "tongue"). That Dutchman 283BHSL is usually termed a 28 ft trailer that has an over length of 32 ft.

I doubt if you are going to find a TT with an overall length of 37 ft (33 ft house) that weighs within your towing capability. You are going to max out around 28-30 ft house size.

Thanks for the tip about the lingo. We were looking in person at what I called a 37’ but that was its exterior length, it has a 32’ house. Even that one has a GVWR and hitch weight slightly above our rating.

I am puzzlEd by something. You said something about removing seats to save weight. Where do the kids sit if seats are removed?

Before buying any tow vehicle, photograph the yellow bordered sticker on the drivers latch post. Get familiar with it.
The payload will be more important than towing capacity.
Remember, you need to have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch. Plan for 12% of GVWR on the hitch for best towing manners.

We would remove seats not primarily to save weight, but to have more space. We only have 6 kids and two adults; vehicle has 12 seats total. We won't remove down to 8 seats total, but probably down to 9--1 in the second row and 2 seats out of the last row.

12% of trailer's GVWR for best towing manners. Vehicle's hitch capacity is 870 lbs. So my max GVWR for best towing manners is 7,250 lbs (7,250 x .12 = 870). That's helpful, thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom