Fantastic fan question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

My RV has 2 of these. Question: is the exterior shroud which covers the fan good enough to leave open unattended; i.e. will it keep wind blown rain out even with the fan off? thx to anyone offering advice.

mark in MN

My RV has 2 of these. Question: is the exterior shroud which covers the fan good enough to leave open unattended; i.e. will it keep wind blown rain out even with the fan off? thx to anyone offering advice.

mark in MN
Yes..... i have left mine open in the heaviest of rain.

Yes, I have 3 that have never had a problem. You may even have a rain sensor on your fans, depending on the model. If so, if any water touches the sensor, the fan top will close by itself.

I'm confused. If the vent is open and it doesn't have a rain sensor, then you are going to get water inside. The cover is raised, right? It partially covers the 14x14 hole, but nowhere near all of it, and any sort of wind (or bouncing drops in a heavy rain) is going to get water inside. That's why the higher end fan models have a rain sensor, right?
fantastic.jpg
The cover is fine when the vent is closed (fan off), but oldryder asked about leaving it open.

Question: is the exterior shroud which covers the fan good enough to leave open unattended;

I'm confused. If the vent is open and it doesn't have a rain sensor, then you are going to get water inside. The cover is raised, right? It partially covers the 14x14 hole, but nowhere near all of it, and any sort of wind (or bouncing drops in a heavy rain) is going to get water inside. That's why the higher end fan models have a rain sensor, right?
View attachment 147902
The cover is fine when the vent is closed (fan off), but oldryder asked about leaving it open.
I think he's referring to this>>>>>https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Fantastic-Vent/FVU1500BL.html

If you have the Maxxair or Fantastic cover over your fan, it will prevent MOST rain from getting in. Unless it's a hard wind driven rain.

We have Maxxair covers on both of our fans and never worry about the rain. Personally, I wouldn't want a rain sensor since that would limit when I could use the fans.

You are probably right about the external cover. I didn't make the connection when I read the original post. We used the Maxxair shrouds with good results, even though our vents had rain sensors. Like to keep vents open on a rainy day. Or during morning/evening dew fall.

We have Maxxair covers on both of our fans and never worry about the rain. Personally, I wouldn't want a rain sensor since that would limit when I could use the fans.
Doc, did you get the special Maxxair cover for the fan that has the larger vent area, or did you just use the one they sell for the non-fan vents? I finally got my Fantastic Fan turned around correctly(when replacing the roof, someone re-installed it with the opening facing front)and now I want to put a cover on it.

Yes, I have the Maxxair cover that is sold for use with powered vent fans. I've had them for >10 years. They work well.

Back
Top Bottom