Fast blinking turn signals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cs2kplus

Hi all! Newbie here.

I just purchased an older popup. I hooked up my wiring harness from my truck. All was fine. I then replaced a tail light assembly. I thought I hooked up the wires right. The turn signals are blinking very fast now. When unplugged....my truck is back to normal. I read elsewhere that it can be caused by a bad connection. Any first hand experience with this problem?

WaynO ;D

There are several possible causes of your problem. The most common is a flasher unit (under the dash) that is only standard duty. Replace the flasher unit with a heavy duty one and see if that helps. It could also be a bad ground.

I will support what TNROY said, a HD flasher should fix it.

There are basically a few different types of flashers... One is fairly new, "Solid State" and these come in two types, one works very well under most all conditions, one is senestive to the number of lights hooked up

The older flashers came in two types as well, one type, the instant you move the switch the light comes on, and then starts flashing... If you have this type adding an additional bulb to the tail lights will cause fast flashing

The other type there is a fractional (1/2 blink cycle) before the lights come on,,, That's the HD type, same rate no matter if you have 2 bulbs (Front and rear) of many (Front, rear, rear, towed rear, rear This is the best kidn to have
(Even if you don't need it)

If possible  get a heavy duty truck flasher, but check the grounds 1st.  parts stores have a flasher that is physically twice the size of the regular ones.  They work great.

Thanks all that have responded. I think the flasher and the bad ground is a pretty popular opinion.

I admit that the wiring and the receptacle are suspect as far as possible shorts.

I will need to try a few things.

Thanks again!

If your truck flasher is the older kind, they work off of heat. 

When you turn on your blinker, current flows to the bulb.  This current runs through the flasher unit, which is designed to warm up because current is running through it.  Sort of the same way a light bulb gets hot when turned on.  The flasher is actually a bi-metallic switch, and when the metal pieces heat up, they start to warp and when they warp enough, they seperate which breaks the circuit.  Then the metal cools down since it is not passing current, and when cool enough, the contacts close.  Then they heat up and seperate, and so on.

If you put extra stuff (load) on the flasher, it pulls more current, which makes the switch heat up a lot faster, so the blinker starts to flash faster.

Get a heavy duty blinker, or better yet, a solid state one.  Just keep your old one in the glove box for emergencies.

-f-

Shooter......very informative explaination!!!!!! Thank You.

I could not sleep. Got up at 4 am. No. 1 ...fixed the ground problem!!! Yes....this was one component. This drove me crazy...because it was intermittent.

Now...I am going to upgrade on the flasher. I do understand that its being double dipped.

WaynO

I installed a new Flasher. My right blinker works great. I have no clue why the left does nothing. I swapped bulbs. No good. It's time to bring in the father-in-law (electrician). :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom