Fatal crash. Self driving car. Human playing video game.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

https://www.wndu.com/content/news/NTSB-Driver-in-fatal-Tesla-crash-was-playing-video-game-568178431.html

At least the police (Well a deputy sheriff) arrived promptly.

Though the crash was 2 years ago the story was on the news this morning.
(Oh Though the Tesla hit the Deputy's car the Deputy was not injured)

Note that Tesla's "Autopilot" is only a partially automated driving system not intended for driverless operation. The fault in this case was clearly operator error. Or lack of operator error...

And as I said the crash was 2 years ago.

I would never trust a comuter without human oversight. For one thing I've had my GPS tell me to turn early/late or take a route I clearly did not wish to take.

How does Tesla figure out where to turn.. GPS I'm sure.

garyb1st said:
I'm not sure why they're not allowed.  Couldn't be much worse than some of the brain dead drivers.

Well there have been a few fatal accidents and though I am inclined to believe in you.

Let me tell you a story.
Man has something like SEVEN Drunk driving #2 on his record (Why nobody charged him with 3rd time and locked him up I do not know.  He was on parole with special conditions of
No operation of motor vehicle
No consumption of alcohol
no possession
No being in a palce where served

Well. he got in a fatal traffic accident.

No in this case we have a living, breathing, man who made very bad decisions we can send to prison for 20-life. and so they did. finally.

I will add all the Prosecutitors who let him off with 2nd offense needed some grief too but.  Well that's another argument.

But when a transistor fails to transist and the car slams into someone and kills them or kills it's occupants?  Who do you put in prison?

SeilerBird said:
There are no self driving cars allowed for use on US highways at the moment.

I take it you're referring to autonomous (Lever 3, 4, 5) driven vehicles, not Level 2 automated vehicles where the four fatalities in the US have occurred. Level 2 automated vehicles are very much allowed on all public highways, and I'm not aware of any state or federal regulations that explicitly prohibit Level 3, 4, or 5 vehicles. Do you have a link that says something different?

I say we should go back to the Model T where the engine (spark advance and fuel to air mixture), throttle and transmission were under the direct control of the driver.  Today's cars with cruise control and automatic transmissions are making too many autonomous decisions over their operation. 

Lou Schneider said:
I say we should go back to the Model T where the engine (spark advance and fuel to air mixture), throttle and transmission were under the direct control of the driver.  Today's cars with cruise control and automatic transmissions are making too many autonomous decisions over their operation.
Good idea, kids now-a-days wouldn't be able to get them into second gear...

SeilerBird said:
Here is the latest info:

"Enacted Legislation and Executive Orders" to what effect? Barring Level 3, 4, or 5 autonomous vehicles? Allowing them? Regulating them to some degree? Link to your source? Level 2 automated vehicles are allowed in all 50 states of course...

Ok, on edit: I happened to run across your source while researching a related question. That chart only indicates states that have some sort of legislation or executive orders in place, not necessarily anything prohibiting autonomous vehicles. A number of the states I looked into have passed or ordered studies into the issue, or in some cases a reporting requirement. I found none with an outright prohibition.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/autonomous-vehicles-self-driving-vehicles-enacted-legislation.aspx

There are 4 or 5 manufacturers with these types of driver assist systems including Nissan with Propilot, GM with Supercruise, Tesla with Autopilot etc.  Some are GPS Geo Fenced systems like GM Supercruise and others a mix of optics, Lidar, Radar etc.  Audi had a level 3 system for a short time last year but degraded it back to a level 2 system.  All level 2 systems need to be supervised by the driver and the driver needs to be ready to take over at any time.  They definitely add a layer of safety to driving as they are very good at some things like

* keeping distance to the vehicle in front of you on cruise (otherwise known as TACC or traffic aware cruise control)
* keeping between the lines on lined highways
* stopping at stop signs or stop lights (Tesla autopilot and I think Audi)
* helping to avoid speeding tickets as they read the speed limit signs and adjust the speed accordingly (Mercedes and Tesla as well as others)

They are not bad at handling interchanges and automatically changing lanes but in my experience (at least for Tesla) should be watched closely when the car is handling these maneuvers as it is not perfect.

Most manufacturers have some collision avoidance capability in the way of emergency braking but again the car needs to be monitored.  For example, it is not uncommon for Jarvis (name of my wifes model 3 Tesla) to "Phantom brake" when passing under an overpass.  Not enough to cause an accident but enough to wake you up.  The car gets "nervous" going around bicycles on single lane roads and technically the manual says to disengage when passing close to a bike or pedestrian...which we do.  Its all quite intuitive and disengaging autosteer is as easy as pulling gently on the wheel, or completely disabling autopilot by tapping the brake pedal or flicking the steering wheel stock.  It is a much more relaxing drive and insurance companies love these systems as the accident rate is much lower when these systems are on.  In the case of Teslas autopilot 70 percent less. 

We personally would never buy another vehicle without something like autopilot.  The car sees lots of things we don't and overall it adds a lot to the driving experience.

However, they are not perfect and won't avoid things like vehicles parked on the side of the road etc, because if they did they may have to cross the lane line which may cause another accident.  They are not that smart...yet.  I'm sure that is coming.  But right now in unusual circumstances like the accidents listed in the thread above they are not designed to execute radical avoidance maneuvers.  They will (to a small degree) swerve to avoid certain things like cars moving into your lane unexpectedly etc.  Youtube is full of videos of these type of situations and accidents avoided as a result of actions autopilot took.  But stopped traffic in the road?...nope.  Even emergency braking is only programmed to slow the vehicle before the crash, not to stop it. 

These systems (or at least Tesla's systems that I am familiar with) can not be enabled without getting a warning to stay alert and keep your hands on the wheel.  If people ignore these rules they are morons.  Playing video games or watching movies???...Really? 

It is interesting that people run into vehicles on the road all the time but if a Tesla does it it is world wide news.  Not sure what drives that, I would say that there maybe an anti-american car maker element to it but Tesla sells more cars in Europe and China than they do in the US so not sure what drives the negative publicity.  Our Tesla has been stellar and is the most reliable and lowest operating cost vehicle we have ever owned.  Zero to sixty in 4 seconds flat, handles like a cat on carpet, all wheel drive, and its sooo purrrddyyy.  :)  (And yah it's hers)  :)  Pictures below of her baby. 

Attachments

• 50162527881_76ff88d0f4_c.jpg
    50162527881_76ff88d0f4_c.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 50027390166_cc7bd3cec1_c.jpg
    50027390166_cc7bd3cec1_c.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 50203841357_569d0fb6bb_c.jpg
    50203841357_569d0fb6bb_c.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 13
I think as more technologies are added to cars, people get too comfortable and start relying on those technologies...lane sensors, traffic sensors, etc.

But lets not forget that there are also people behind the wheel that are too lazy to use their indicators to change lanes, etc. The biggest fault with Tesla systems is that they use a camera for navigation and they can't see in front of the first car they are following. If they are following that car and they change lanes last second to avoid an obstacle; a stopped car for example, they will most likely collide with the stopped car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom