feedback needed on travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donuts

My wife and I just looked at a 2009 Keystone Springdale 266rl travel trailer. We really liked the floor plan with the exception of the bathroom which was crowded with the shower, toilet and sink. However, they were all behind a closed door and that, I like. The dealer came down to 16,200 which seems about right for that year. The trailer is in excellent condition for what I can see, but I can't see everything.
Can anyone tell me about the quality of a Springdale trailer? I also want to know if I should have the trailer checked even though I am buying it from a dealer. The dealer is Camping World which I believe is nation wide.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Just keep in mind that every Camping World outlet is a type of franchise (independent) operation and the competence of the various RV sales/maintenance arms in many of the outlets has been discussed regularly on the Forum. As a result, the term 'nation wide' may have more or less value than you might think.

If you are not 'rv knowledgeable' enough to do your own inspection, then it would be wise to hire an independent inspector making sure that any sales contract you might sign contains clauses that will permit such an inspection and that any sale is dependant on your acceptance of said inspection.

Another thing to check beforehand is the capacity of your proposed tow vehicle. Salesmen are prone to tell you that you can 'pull anything on their lot' with your vehicle and that is often far from the truth. You need to know ahead of time what you can safely tow and understand your limitations.

If you have doubts about the suitability of of the bathroom, keep looking. There are  a few variations in layout that are available in the many models of trailer available although the number  of suitable ones for you may be harder to find. Remember, you can only cut up 26 feet of space in a limited number of  ways!!

Sorry, I am not more familiar with that particular brand!!

Keystone lists their trailers in four categories, from lowest to highest.  Springdale is one of the their lowest models.  But that doesn't mean it isn't what you are looking for.  As far as the bathroom, it will not get larger and if it looks like a problem now, that might magnify as you use it.  As far as getting it inspected, buying from a dealer doesn't mean much on a used rig.  What guarantee will he give you?  Probably not a very comprehensive one.  Having it checked by a professional, who has nothing to do with CW, might save you bundles. 

The NADA value that most people would use lists that rig at $10,900.  There would have to be a lot of extra value to justify the $16,200 he "came down to".  Gives you an idea of what he will make.  The MSRP for the trailer new was $21,000 so it would have sold then for not much more than they are asking now for the four - five year old unit (five model years).

The dealer offer is overpriced in my opinion for a 2009.

Oh yea..... overpriced!
Do not trust any dealer. We, and I mean WE, have a tendency to WANT TO BELIEVE, it makes things so simple.
Too many of us have been lied to.... don't take their word for anything, check it out with someone who knows, just as you are doing now at our forum. As a rule, do not ever believe a salesmen/dealer, double check what they tell you.....
Go to our LIBRARY to gain knowledge as a start. Keep looking and talking to people with your questions.
It takes time to learn these trailers and it will happen. Just put in the effort.
Good luck.....

My wife and I purchased a new 2012 Keystone Springdale 266rl travel trailer in May. The price you are being quoted for a used 2009 is way, way overpriced.  While we were looking back in April, we saw a used 2011 for about what you've been quoted now. Don't forget this is a four year old unit already, ( Tire life is half gone, etc.)

As far as Keystone quality, We have had no issues with our trailer, it is our third unit we've bought.

Sounds like a decent trailer, but as the others said, overpriced.  We looked at Camping World when we were in the market last spring.  They wanted almost $10K more for a trailer comparable to the one we bought at a local dealership.  They have to pay for that fancy showroom somehow. 

If the bathroom is bugging you now, don't buy the trailer....it will become a sore spot the longer you own it.  Keep looking until you find exactly (or as close as humanly possible) the floor plan you want.  Take your time.....

Frizlefrak said:
Sounds like a decent trailer, but as the others said, overpriced.  We looked at Camping World when we were in the market last spring.  They wanted almost $10K more for a trailer comparable to the one we bought at a local dealership.  They have to pay for that fancy showroom somehow. 

If the bathroom is bugging you now, don't buy the trailer....it will become a sore spot the longer you own it.  Keep looking until you find exactly (or as close as humanly possible) the floor plan you want.  Take your time.....
Wow! I must have entered some poor info when using NADA.  Thank you and all of the great folks that have responded to my question. This is the start of our search and you have opened my eyes. I am going to look again this weekend. No rush, I really want to buy in the spring of 2013.

Lot's of times, people think you are to add in all the options the trailer has.  The base price on the trailer includes all the base options it came with so you usually don't add anything.  That makes a big difference.

Just keep in mind that every Camping World outlet is a type of franchise (independent) operation

I don't think that is true any longer. CW always owned some of the stores and lately have systematically buying up the dealerships that previously had independent franchises. Now CW not only owns the store - they often own the entire dealership as well. And some CW locations are dealership only - no store at all.

I agree it is way overpriced. You can buy a nice new trailer for that amount. Especially if you can find a 2012 you like that a dealer needs to move out to make room for 2013's. We found a 2012 Layton that listed for 24K and we got for 15.5K. Keep looking and reading and taking notes. We love our Layton. Very unique floorplan with slide. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Thank you for letting me know how far 15,500 will go. Took a quick peak at your trailer model just to see the floor plan. You are right, I have never seen this plan before. I am not sure if I will ever do business with Camping World again. It seems that they just don't get it from a customer service standpoint. I am not looking for a cheerleader when I come in to look and I will not dicker back and forth with the price. Just make me your best offer so you profit and I get a fair deal. Unfortunately, this is not in their business model. Too bad, because I can be a negotiating nightmare. Again, thank you to all who have replied to my request.

Haggling.....I'd almost rather dry heave.  :'(

I told the mom and pop dealer on my trailer...."I've done a ton of research. I don't negotiate.  You'll get one chance to offer it to me.  If I like the price, I'll write the check.  If I don't, I will walk out and you'll never see me again.  Make it count".

He did, and I wrote the check. 

Haggling........ It's something learned. Some cultures (most parts of the world) it is expected and counted on by both parties.

With auto purchases (and Trailer prices) I have learned to lie (over last 50 years). They offer product at high price, you counter with lower price, then a happy medium is reached. Most likely You didn't get bottom price.
But,
With new trailers, after their price offer, I go with 35% off MSRP, new cars 30% of MSRP (I disregard all discounts).
Now of course they say No way and counter offer. I remain fast, get my visa card (I gain 1% of what is allowed on card if purchased) and say I'll buy right now. They counter offer, I stay firm.
Now remember, they do this for a living.... they are not going to lose.
They get the management involve, say that's the best we can do..... I walk. I now have a bases to walk in again  there or someplace else and start negotiations.

It has happened that they say "Okay, and expect you to buy. (you said you would) and now one has to say in effect, "I know I lied, but remember, this is your system, not mine, you lied first".  or something like that....
Do not just walk out smiling or with a smirk. Tell them you do want to buy, but you need more time, you're scared. Ask salesman for card, but walk.

It's hard to do, and I have not always been able to do this..., but you learn.
Remember, they will get the money they need to make a profit.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom