feedback on hybrid..quick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

racermom

hello I just joined this forum to see if anybody could tell me..We are an hour away from buying a Thor Tahoe 18dt the one with the 3 canvas pop out beds..I just want to confirm that I am doing an ok thing here.  It is a 2005 I think it is 26ft (Hubby would know for sure..maybe 28?) around that anyhow it appears to be in new condition as far as I can tell has stove oven fridge freezer most options but no a/c we are looking to buy it for 19,300.00 I see them in the states for up to 22,000 american does anyone have one or have any feed back about the whole hybrid thing this is our first real trailer as we have outgrown the Boler..please reply asap

While I'm not basing this on any factual information, that sure seems like a lot of money for a year-old RV of this type.  When my hubby and I were looking to upgrade from our popup last year, we looked at the newer, bigger version and they were asking 15,000.  We've since gone up a step more and purchased a 25' Wildcat 5th wheel for just under $20,000 from RV Wholesalers online.

While ordering and buying an RV online sight unseen is not for the faint of heart, it worked out well for us.  You might want to think about this one for a day or two to assess it more fully.  Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Pauline

You are kidding, right?  You are asking about the advisability of hybrid trailers in general, Thors in particular, and  whether the price is right, all in the next hour?  You leave out a few questions:  What are you going to pull the trailer with?  What part of the world are you going to use it in?  How many folks are going to be camping in it?

I would assume that you have either bought the unit or not bought the unit by now.  If you have, let us see how we can help in your getting used to the new unit.  If not, let us see if we can help you buy a unit that will be suited to your tow vehicle and way of life.  That could be the Thor, but who knows.

yeah no ..not kidding
not done yet still pending anyhow
the trailer will just be parked at the quarter midget track for the season and then towed home at the end of the season (10 minutes from the track) So tow vehicle is not really an issue I am more concerned that we are paying a reasonable price as I really cannot find many for sale to compare.
We have 2 kids and the reason we are liking the hybrid idea is because half the time we are not sleeping over there.  We wanted to have the extra room for our kids friends who all seem to congregate at our trailer to play game cube ..that was fun in a Boler let me tell you!
and again it is a 18dt 2005 for 19,300 CAN

As for the price: Try to pay no more than 80% of the MSRP+delivery charges and no extra for anything like "make ready" or "prep" or any other dealer add-ons. Only exception would be any dealer-installed options.  Make sure you are seeing the manufacturer MSRP and not a dealer price sticker.

Some dealers won't go that low, but if you shop around there should be some dealer who will.  Don't be afraid to bargain hard - saying the price is too much for you and walking away is one of the best bariaining techniques around.

racermom said:
yeah no ..not kidding
not done yet still pending anyhow
the trailer will just be parked at the quarter midget track for the season and then towed home at the end of the season (10 minutes from the track) So tow vehicle is not really an issue I am more concerned that we are paying a reasonable price as I really cannot find many for sale to compare.
We have 2 kids and the reason we are liking the hybrid idea is because half the time we are not sleeping over there.? We wanted to have the extra room for our kids friends who all seem to congregate at our trailer to play game cube ..that was fun in a Boler let me tell you!
and again it is a 18dt 2005 for 19,300 CAN

That does not sound like a use that is suited to hybrids.  Those beds slide inwards when contracted.  They block access to parts of the interior.  At least in the units I have seen.  Exetended, they present cloth siding to the elements.  I would hesitate to extend them for a season. 

If I were you folks I would take a look at conventional travel trailers, with or without slide outs.  The TT typically has make down dinette and sofa beds or bunks in an alcove.  Its hard sides resist weather better than cloth.

Hybrids are used to facilitate towing by shortening the as-towed length and weight of the trailer.  The pull out beds are extended when at camp site.  Your use does not take advantage of that feature at all.

Actually, the beds in hybrids do not block the interior at all as they pivot, not slide in like a pop up.  However, I have to agree that for the use you are looking at this would not be a good choice and a hard sided trailer would be more suited.

Back
Top Bottom