Fiberglass Coating on Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckB

I have a 2014 Winnebago View that appears to have some kind of coating to protect the fiberglass.  Unfortunately,  it seems to be peeling off and looks kind of tacky.  Is this something that can be easily applied or fixed?

It's probably a film.  We have one made by 3M on the front of our motorhome and each car to save the paint from rock chips.  They can be removed but it's not always easy.  We watched an expert at a rally remove one.  It's slow-going work.  I think there have been several previous discussions that you can find using the Search button, above left.  Search on 3M Film to get started.

Not all films are 3M and we were told that some of them actually bond to the paint which makes removal almost impossible.  Test a tiny area first to be sure you have one that is removable.

ArdraF

Ardra, you're probably correct; I've seen lots of 3M film applications (including the one on the front of our coach) develop lots of surface cracks, and some peeling.

As you know, the cracks in the film can't be removed/repaired, and the only 'fix' is to remove &/or replace the film. We've decided to just put up with ours until it comes time for resale, because of the difficulty you mentioned removing it. Some folks have been successful using a heat gun, peeling the film off an inch at a time.

A friend of mine had some type of film installed on his and a few years later, mold started growing under the film. I think it cost him $800.00 to get it removed.

My neibheor had the film removed from a 2008 Journey. It cost $600 and took the guy several half days. Now I've got big guts all over mine and nothing will touch it.

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom