fiberglass crack structural or cosmetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

visca5

hi everybody,im new to rv s and have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer.im looking at a 1984 class c chevy rockwood.im using it to camp at motorcycle races so it doesnt need to be beautiful just functional.my question is regarding some cracks in the fiberglass.there are cracks in the fiberglass at the front where it gets wide from the van front to the rv body.the owner told me that they are stress cracks and that a lot of older motorhomes get them.is this tue and are these cracks structural and dangerous or cosmetic and just not pretty.

the  cracks are about 4 ft off the ground(chest level) and about 6 or 7inches long

Morning !!

We have cracks in the fiberglass on our 5er.  They are recent, due to an impact, so we wanted to talk to a repair guy right away in case leaving them alone would cause them to get bigger.  He said they will not be a problem. 

Don't worry about the cracks....have fun!

startinoureyes

Easy for them to say  dont worry,  it's not their unit and they don't have thoughsands tied up in it.  I'd me worried regardless, wheather or not they told me.  Anyone you have a crack something is wrong no matter how small the problem is it's still a problem.  If it was designed to have cracks, They would be there from the onset.  I know some Fiberglass boat manufacturers that would really be upset too hear a statement like that.  Cracks are a weakness PERIOD. JMHO

From my experience with boats and RVs, stress cracks in fiberglass are rarely structural in nature. Often, they're merely surface cracks in gel coat, or possibly the fiberglass itself. An RV or a boat is subject to all kinds of movement, vibration, bumps, twisting and lots of other forces that can cause stress cracks.

Without seeing yours, it's impossible for me to judge how significant they are. Aesthetics of stress cracks are often not pretty, but you've already said you're not concerned about that. If it will help you sleep better, get a second opinion from a fiberglass repair shop.

You sure stated things the way I wanted to Tom  Just in a hurry to do something else and should have listed the Stress factor more strongly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom