Fiberglass propane tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, as it is fiberglass, I half expected it to go up in a big mushroom cloud. Wonder if they have plans to market a 30 pound tank?

Larry

2006F350 said:
Interesting, as it is fiberglass, I half expected it to go up in a big mushroom cloud. Wonder if they have plans to market a 30 pound tank?

Larry

I would be willing to bet they are working on a 30lb tank. The majority of travel trailers and 5th wheels use 30lb tanks. Some are now coming with 40lb tanks!

It's not really plastic or fiberglass...it's a carbon composite material. Same thing some airplanes are made of. Very strong. Ain't cheap though because of manufacturing cost. The 20 lb is $75. In the case of steel bottles left outside here in FL, they corrode quickly. Personally, knowing the strength and durability of composites, I would feel much safer with them. Hope they get to a 30 lb model....I'll take two please.  ;D

Bruce,

I've seen a lot of carbon fiber in and on race cars, but have never seen a transparent or translucent variety. I sent an email to them asking  what it's made from (and a few other questions), and I'll post as soon as I get an answer.

As for 30 lb tanks for Motor Homes.. You can always E-mail them and ask

The web page does show a Fork Lift tank, the major difference between a fork lift tank and a MH tank is that the Forklift tank is designed to output LIQUID lp for the carberator on the lift

And perhaps a bit stronger due to fork lifts tending to not be operated by the folks who pay for fixing them

Karl said:
Bruce,

I've seen a lot of carbon fiber in and on race cars, but have never seen a transparent or translucent variety. I sent an email to them asking  what it's made from (and a few other questions), and I'll post as soon as I get an answer.

So did I Karl. Haven't gotten a response yet.

Well, I was wrong...again.  ;)  I got an email back from the company. Here's the response:

"Thank you for your inquiry on our Lite Cylinder.  It is not carbon composite, it is e-glass and resin. The process was invented in Sweden, and we have the Franchise in the states & Canada.  The plans for 30# is at least a year away.  Thanks  Shelley"

I watch the video and am impressed, I think I would spend the money just because of safety reasons.
I have seen what happens to exsisting tanks when they are near or on fire, also what happens to surrounding area.
Steve

Steve said:
I watch the video and am impressed, I think I would spend the money just because of safety reasons.
I have seen what happens to exsisting tanks when they are near or on fire, also what happens to surrounding area.
Steve

Gee, I did not know there were any surrounding areas after a traditional steel Propane tank gets overheated to the flash point

Just a vast open area

(Thinking of a NCIS episode where the bad dude holed up in a trailer... Gibbs whistled, the dog (Canine type not 2 legged type) ran to Gibbs, and Gibbs double tapped the propane tanks.

I think the steel frame of the trailer was left, no wheels though

Tony said "I think you got him boss"

NOTE: I don't think double tapping (Shooting twice in quick succession) would blow a real propane tank,, However two spaced shots might

Bruce,

Don't feel bad; carbon fiber materials are not in very common usage yet, and many of us think of a composite as being some sort of fiberglass/phenolic resin composition. One of the engineering sites paraphrases Henry Ford's comment about the Model T - "You can get in  any color, as long as it's black"  :) Same holds true for carbon fibers; they start out life as white or clear strands, but are then heated to about 1000 deg. C. to make 'fabric grade' material, or nearly 3000 deg. C. for a nearly 100% graphite material. Net result is it's always black.

In any event, either a fiberglass or carbon fiber propane tank would have both weight and long term life advantages over the ordinary steel tanks.

BTW: I have not received a response to my email yet...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom