Fiberglass vs denim insulation batts: which? why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I have a couple cavities in my RV I plan to fill with insulation batts.  Also, I'll put some along a wall behind some pipes and a couple other places.

What's the deal with the denim insulation?  Never heard of it till I started researching this project.  Is it as good as or better than fiberglass?  I've always heard of fiberglass, which I really hate to work with.  Somebody was concerned that the denim would attract rodents. 

Denim was invented as part of the "green" movement. It was introduced in the Industrial Insulation market (my experience) about 8 years ago but never took off. It contains no formaldehyde and thus better for the environment. One issue that I had with it was it would absorb moisture readily and therefore was a mold problem in my book so I never supported its use. Unless you are overly sensitive to formaldehyde, I would stay with fiberglass as it is cheap and will not wick moisture.

Pete

Pete:  Thanks.  I don't avoid the environmentalists' movements on purpose, but too many of those things are poor substitutes.  I'll stick with fiberglass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom