Fifth wheel friction/lube plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I already have a friction plate which came with my trailer, but it won't stay on the king pin (which I don't understand because it doesn't appear worn an I thought king pin diameters were all the same).

Looking for recommendations for one I can snap on and leave on the king pin.

Thanks

My 1st fiver had the same issue. I drilled a taped 2 holes thru the plate and into the king pin box and used two 1/4-20 flat head screws to hold it up. I countersunk the holes in the plate so the screw heads would be beyond flush. The screws could have also been 10-24. It was  22 years ago.

When you back in to hook up you or somebody else might have had the king pin too low and drug it along the hitch head pushing it against the kingpin and elongating the hole.  I had this happen a number of years ago and just replaced the lube pad with a new one which has been on for over a decade now.  They're cheap and easy to find, just replace it and try not to drive the kingpin into the hitch head in the future.

Foto-n-T said:
When you back in to hook up you or somebody else might have had the king pin too low and drug it along the hitch head pushing it against the kingpin and elongating the hole.  I had this happen a number of years ago and just replaced the lube pad with a new one which has been on for over a decade now.  They're cheap and easy to find, just replace it and try not to drive the kingpin into the hitch head in the future.

Wasn't me! (That's my line and I'm sticking to it. Was this way when I got it from the previous owner of the trailer. Got one on order, I'll bear it in mind next time I hitch up.

After a couple of years messing with the lube plates wearing out and falling off, I got rid of them, keep the pin and plate clean and lubed and it works just fine for me.

Every time I bought a new one and put them on they were always very tight and had no problem staying on. I'm thinking if you got one that is loose go buy a new one and put 'er on.

Back
Top Bottom