fifth wheel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmid

I am new to forums, don't understand why the icons. Hopefully soon to be new to rv'ing. Wife and I are about to purchase fifth wheel trailer. We are interested in forest river wildcat 375MC. We are from Minnesota, can't find a dealer near by with this unit in stock. Does anyone in or near Minnesota own this unit that would be willing to let us take a look at it?

Welcome to the forum. That looks like one huge trailer. I hope you have the right tow vehicle. Whatever you do, do not listen to a salesman. He is there to sell RV's. Most will tell you that the truck you have will tow it with no problem. WRONG. Do your homework and come here and ask questions before you buy anything.
You're going to find that many members here will advise you to buy used especially for your 1st RV. They take such a huge hit on depreciation as soon as you drive/tow it off the lot. There are lots of slightly used RV's out there (3 to 4 years old) with hardly any use on them. Some people find that RV'ing is not for them. Let those type of people take the hit.

Hi and Welcome!!

Which 'icons'?? Do you mean the picture as in Ren? T's or my post?? They can be added under Profile/Forum Profile from the menu line above. We often suggest you add some information under the Signature section similar to our signatures to identify you and your equipment.

Follow closely Ren?'s advice regarding your proposed tow vehicle. We hear from many new members about the difficulties encountered with an inadequate tow vehicle, especially those used with 5th wheels.

Welcome to the Forum!

Rene is correct!

That is a very nice FW!!!

That is a 15,500 lb FW (GVWR).  The tow vehicle (TV) choice is a big decision.  The camper pin weight will be about 3100#.  Add a 200# hitch and a couple passengers, and you need a truck with 3700# payload or more.  This is clearly 1 ton truck territory, and maybe a dually.

My FW is 15,500 GVWR and my truck is a F350  SRW.  My payload is 3453#  That is 3100# pin, 40# for an Andersen hitch and 350# of passengers = 3490#, so we are right at capacity.  With a conventional hitch, I would be well over capacity.

Thanks for the advice, haven't given used much thought. We went all in on tow vehicle. Chevrolet 3500 HD Duramax 4X4 (not dually). Do you think not having warranty on used trailer is a good trade off for depreciation?

wilmid said:
Thanks for the advice, haven't given used much thought. We went all in on tow vehicle. Chevrolet 3500 HD Duramax 4X4 (not dually). Do you think not having warranty on used trailer is a good trade off for depreciation?

As resounding ?Yes?! Provided....you do your homework, by purchasing a unit with a good track record, closely inspect your chosen unit for defects, or problems, and get one several years old to maximize the depreciation. Let the original owner take the huge (generally) financial ?hit? on depreciation and they likely corrected most of the little ?nagging? problems, usually in countered with most new units. Likely, if you purchase a very well maintained unit, 5 to 7 years old (often used little), you could easily get a unit of double the quality and features of a new unit within your budget.  Example: We purchased a 9 year old (a little older than I am recommending to you) unit for approx. 25% of the original owners investment. Tires (6), batteries (6), a new hydraulic pump (hydraulic disc brakes), some manual labor by myself, and we have a unit that is ?FAR? beyond what we could have afforded new! Even ?if? we have a major expense ( refrigerator, ac unit, etc.), we are still, tens of thousands of $ ahead!

Todd is absolutely correct!  Saved me some typing!

New campers usually have several things that need fixed under warranty.  Used campers have these repairs already made.
New campers generally require you to return to the selling dealer for repairs.  Since you are paying, any one you choose can work on a used unit.

I recently bought a 9 year old gently used FW for $26K.  Sold new for $72K.  I replaced the battery and the water heater electric element.  Already had upgraded 3 year old tires.

Don't get too hung up on a specific year/make/model of RV right now either. Most of them (especially trailers) are made with the same overall construction techniques and materials. If you like the features of that particular Forest River, I guarantee there are others with similar options. Floorplan/condition/options are much more important factors to shop for, and as mentioned when buying used try and learn as much about the rig's past as you can. Dealers cannot give you this, but private owners often can (in my experience), and talking to an owner who REALLY cared for the RV you are buying is great piece of mind.

Back
Top Bottom