Filling tires and checking pressures...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIBBYVETTE

Sorry gang, me again. I have a 2022 Winnebago class A. Six tires. The back inner tires are easy to measure air pressure and fill due to the extenders. The other 4 tires are much more difficult as I can't get my fingers in there to do the job. I bought a pressure gauge that is rated for trucks but have a very difficult time reaching the nobs.. Any tricks or suggestions? TIA

CharlesinGA

I too am an advocate of the no wheel covers system. Buy a set of the Alligator fill thru caps and install them, then you never have to remove caps to service or check them.

There are two kinds of dual head chucks, on one the entire head is angled, the other has a straight end and an angled back chuck. On my Sprinter, the straight/angled worked perfectly with the Alligator caps.

I did try the Borg dually stems, what a hassle and very frustrating and removed them right away and went back to regular stems. Was almost impossible to install the outer dual without damaging the stem on the inner dual, absolutely horrible.

Alligator cap 10 pack

Charles

Last edited:

Skookum

^^^ Perhaps a different air pressure check/fill gauge would solve the problem?

If not, you can have a tire shop put in longer stems. Or you can buy extensions. I don't recommend buying valve stem extensions as they add complexity to the detriment of safety, in my opinion. Better to replace with a longer stem.

TheBar

Some wheels are made where extension are the only option on the inside dually. I prefer metal extensions that are tied down to the outer wheel instead of flopping around like soft rubber extensions. Just another point of failure.

Tiercel

You are not alone. What a pain. It took me many tries with different extensions, different gauges, different air chucks before it could check and fill my inside rear tires. The angled chucks did not work. So finally, I got rid of the extensions and got a straight chuck.

My outside tires have the valves pointing inward so I can get them with an angled chuck that hooks on the valve, then I pull backward to depress the valve stem.

CharlesinGA

You are not alone. What a pain. It took me many tries with different extensions, different gauges, different air chucks before it could check and fill my inside rear tires. The angled chucks did not work. So finally, I got rid of the extensions and got a straight chuck.

My outside tires have the valves pointing inward so I can get them with an angled chuck that hooks on the valve, then I pull backward to depress the valve stem.
Like this Milton S-693-12 1/4" FNPT Extended Reach Dual Head Air Chuck

61ludMi0X7L._AC_SL400_.jpg

And a similar styled gauge like this Milton S986 Service Gauge - Straight Foot Dual Head Chuck

514DII0agTL._AC_SL400_.jpg

Say what you want, but stick type gauges are extremely accurate and don't get out of calibration.

Charles

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
There are a variety of valve extensions designed to assist with this, some angled as much as 135 degrees and others long, flexible tubes that can be routed to the outer cover and anchored in place. There is always some risk the extension could come loose and lose air, but life is full of convenience vs risk tradeoffs.

There are also air gauges and air chucks designed to access the dual tire valves - see Charles post just above this one.

Last, you could have a tire shop reverse the backward-facing valve so that it points outward for easier access. The only drawback with that is the valve needs to be re-positioned again if you ever move that tire to a different position. That's a rather rare event, though.

DonTom

What works to check the PSI in these tires is that Viair 12V RV air compressor that comes with a screw-on to tire valve thingy. Can use the gauge that comes with it withOUT using the air compressor to check the the tire PSI (mine are 100 psi--the gauge is good to 160 psi ). No need to take the hub caps off, but it is a little tricky get it started to get screwed on to the outer tire valve. But it works better than anything else I tried. Mine would need an exact 45 degree angle, the ones for the trucks don't work on this RV. Wrong angle. Perhaps would work if I removed the hub cap, but I didn't try because it's not necessary.

An even better way is to install a TPMS with small sensors. I tried to do that here, but with large sensors, & I didn't trust it, they are too large to fit and I needed to add angle extensions. So I removed it all. The only reason I had this is problem is because the TPMS sensors are the flow-throw type and are too large. The smaller ones should fit on direct and be easy to install. So I guess I will have to wait until I get home.

Or . . .

Is there anyway possible to buy an RV TPMS without ordering it? I would like to install one ASAP.

I find the TPMS theses days to be right within two psi compared to the better tire pressure gauges. Saves a lot of trouble until you really need to fill them.

-Don- ABQ, NM (my last night here)

DonTom

Here is what works for my RV. I will show a photo below and explain it here. I use the small hose that screws on the a tire valve that is included with Viair compressor I linked above.

I screw on ONLY the hose. Just a few threads so no air will leak. I can get in one any six of my tire valves with using only a single finger. The tie wrap shown is added and is a must (at least for this RV). Then I pop-on the gauge. Then I tighten the hose on the valve. Do not touch the handle on the gauge (at least not yet!).

Check the PSI on the gauge. If low, simply snap on the air compressor to it and refill. Was a very simple job! I checked all six tire PSI before I left ABQ this morning. IMGP0541.JPG

I discovered this trick this morning before I left ABQ. Hold the hose (no gauge yet ) as you screw in in to the valve with one finger, NOT tight until after the gauge is plugged in to the hose.

-Don- Newkirk, NM

Last edited:

decaturbob

why I have a TPMS system with pass thru sensors. The only time it a hassle is when I do the annual battery change and I have to remove the sensors

DonTom

why I have a TPMS system with pass thru sensors. The only time it a hassle is when I do the annual battery change and I have to remove the sensors
The problem with those is the size. They will not fit in my new RV. They are fine in my old RV.

I need smaller sensors for my new RV and that means no pass-thru sensors.

I could use the pass-thrus with my new RV if I use curved valve extenders. But I didn't feel it was safe so I aborted the idea to use them.

-Don- Marianna, FL

GIBBYVETTE

The problem with those is the size. They will not fit in my new RV. They are fine in my old RV.

I need smaller sensors for my new RV and that means no pass-thru sensors.

I could use the pass-thrus with my new RV if I use curved valve extenders. But I didn't feel it was safe so I aborted the idea to use them.

-Don- Marianna, FL
What is your fear of the curved valve extenders? I bought a few of different lengths that were rubber that I thought I’d try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hqcustomdesign
Top Bottom