Filon roof repair questions - seal old roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wineyarders

Greetings,

Hoping some folks can help me with a couple of questions. I did not find any posts that address some questions I have regarding a popup filon roof repair. We recently acquired a 2000s popup and the filon roof had several stress cracks and a couple of crosswise splits along the roof supports. Due to water intrusion and rot we removed the ceiling and stripped out the old wood, placed the cross supports, and repaired and reinforced the compromised filon from the underside with strips of 1708 biax fiberglass tape. So the roof is sealed now, but given the age and condition of the rest of the filon roof, it seems prudent to further seal and reinforce the filon roof by either covering the entire roof with a new layer of filon or possibly covering the roof with a layer of 6 oz fiberglass cloth. Which leads me to my questions:

1. Filon - I understand I would need to lay something on top of the old roof in order for the new filon to adhere properly - typically luan. Since this base will be sandwiched between the old filon and new filon I'm wondering if anyone knows of a synthetic base material I could use instead of wood.

2. Fiberglass - I don't see much mention of simply laying a layer of fiberglass cloth over the old filon to strengthen and seal. The filon roof appears to have some sort of paint on the top side, and I'm wondering if anyone has feedback on using epoxy resin to lay a layer of cloth over the top. Once cured the fiberglass would be painted to protect from UV damage. This seems like a much easier approach and easier to manage and repair.

3. Rubberized paint - Another approach I've seen is to simply roll the roof with a rubberized paint to ensure a good seal. I imagine this would not provide much structure to the old filon if any, but could be a shorter term fix.

Thanks for any feedback anyone has,

Ryan

I would I think opt for the rubberized paint. Kool seal or something similar would probably be the least expensive also.

Back
Top Bottom