Filters and parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cascabel3

I haven't tried, waiting to be in a better mood for this one.  I wonder what will happen if I walk into a NAPA store and tell them that I have a 5.9 Cummins turbo and I need both fuel filters ???

I have tried their website and the following numbers given to me by a fellow Vectra DP owner:

Air filter 88737
Oil diesel 85607
Gen 85764
Fuel 86472

I have produced no results except for the Fuel filter part number and I don't trust it is correct as the price of the filter seemed low.  I just wanna go to one store and get all my spare parts.  Where do you fellows all go?

I usually get all my filters from either Cummins or Spartan.  I I use only the Fleetguard oil and fuel filters and the airfilter recommended by Spartan.  To easy to get the wrong filter for the application by going to the local auto parts store.  Not worth saving a few pennies which could end up costing big bucks if they give you the wrong filter.

As always, 1.5 minutes after I post, a reply from Ron.  Thanks Ron.  When I call Spartan or Cummins, will stating:  5.9 230 Turbo Cummins on a Spartan chassis be sufficient to get all the filters?

Cascabel3 said:
As always, 1.5 minutes after I post, a reply from Ron.  Thanks Ron.  When I call Spartan or Cummins, will stating:  5.9 230 Turbo Cummins on a Spartan chassis be sufficient to get all the filters?

Your best bet is to call Spartan and give them your VIN #. They can then look up your exact configuration and give you the exact part number. Problem with NAPA is that the parts are not always the best of spec for this application.

I see Bernie has already answered you question regarding Spartan.  It has been my experience that Spartan is a good resource.  Anytime you call it is easier if you do have your VIN nbr available.

I have always used Fleetguard filters on my coach since these are what Cummins installs.  I feel our motorhomes engines are not experimental engines and for the minimal cost savings, it's not worth the risk of using replacements.

One of the sometimes less expensive places to order filters is from the outfit that advertises in the FMCA magazine  1-800-256-6310

I usually get my filters at a Cummins truck dealer, and ask for a discount.  They will usually oblige.

If you travel in Canada, Fleetguard filters are generally less expensive than in the U.S.  I mean the dollar amount is usually less, so when the exchange is taken into consideration, the savings is substantial. 

Steve, Ron, Bernie,

you have answered my questions.  Spartan it will be with VIN # in hand.  I will tell them I just want every filter, including tranny filters, and all of them times two.  I don't worry as much about saving a few bucks as I do getting the right stuff and a quality product.  Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom