Finding old cars in the woods...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes!! I love Matt's Off Road Recovery and the Golden Nugget got me hooked on following Fab Rats too.
I was just subscribed to Matt's until the Golden Nugget recovery. Now I'm subscribed to all the channels that were involved in the build and a couple more beside. My top 3 are Matt's, FabRats, and Trail Mater.
Close seconds are Robby Layton Nation and Bikes and Beards.

I assume that the rest of the truck is still there just buried. I wonder how that happened. Obviously it wasn’t a rock slide/avalanche.
20190127_125422.jpg20190127_125436.jpg20190127_125446.jpg

Come to Quartzsite this January and take the Sunday trip to the Desert Bar. You can see it for yourself.

I was just subscribed to Matt's until the Golden Nugget recovery. Now I'm subscribed to all the channels that were involved in the build and a couple more beside. My top 3 are Matt's, FabRats, and Trail Mater.
Close seconds are Robby Layton Nation and Bikes and Beards.

I don't do Trail Mater (just haven't watched much) or Bikes/Beards. I've watched some of Robby Layton, but I'm starting to stack up on shows and he usually gets left off my rotation.

Anyone else like Vice Grip Garage? Finding old cars and making them run is how he got his start. I've been watching since 2019. Now he's on the Motortrend channel but still does his Youtube show.

When I was 9 or 10 (early '50s), my paternal grandfather (north central Kansas) was still using implements such as shown with horses- he retired soon after and never had a tractor in his life. He only had electricity the last year or two before retiring, as I still can see the twin wires running up the walls to a ceiling light, and earlier recall goin up a circular staircase at night at bedtime with Mom lighting the way with a kerosene lamp.

My wife (eastern Kentucky) was near 12 years old before they got electric back in the holler. Many smaller towns in the west (and a number elsewhere, I expect) still had dirt streets (Durango, CO for one).

So those conditions weren't really all that far back.
I know this thread is old, but hat to add this. Silverton CO still has dirt streets today.

Old-Crow, that's what happens when you park in a dry wash.

I know this thread is old, but hat to add this. Silverton CO still has dirt streets today.
We have lots of "Seasonal, Limited Use Highways" here in central NY - essentially dirt/gravel roads littered with hunting camps that don't get plowed. Catch them just right and they can be a lot of fun in a 4X4 - catch them wrong and you'll end up calling your buddies (if you have cell service) for a recovery!

Last edited:
This was at a winery in the Finger Lakes NY. Made us laugh.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1674431014576.jpg
    FB_IMG_1674431014576.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 6
I believe if one could look more closely, that is a 216 cu. in. Chevy 6 cylinder. Pre 1954. The cam gear look to be fiber, which was a failing of that engine.

Richard
If you're right you've got an awfully good eye. I stared. There could be a sixth cylinder hidden under the log. However if the engine came from the body in the background, it's considerably newer. The fenders have a rounded edge. That didn't appear on cars until about the early 1960s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom