Fire extinguishers/heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harveyj

My brother lives in Bishop, Ca and owns a 28 ft TT.  During this last heatwave, he went to the storage facility to crack some of the windows and vents.  When he entered the trailer, he saw that two of his three "Plastic" fire ectinguishers had blown the valve assy apart and left a white dust in every possible compartment, crevice, cupboard, etc. :eek:  He spent most of the day getting it cleaned.  The other extinguisher that had a metal valve assy was fine...only the plastic types failed.
I had never heard of this happening due to heat but thought I would pass on the incident to those of you that may have the plastic type of nozzle assemblies....I immediately replaced mine.

Thanks for posting that. I'm off to check mine at the storage lot. It was 110+ here for a couple of weeks.

The blown fire extinguishers could have been a good thing, except for the problem of the clean up, if they are replaced with quality extinguishers such as Kidde Foam or the ones McCoy sells.  IMHO it is well worth the few bucks to replace all the fire extinguishers that come with a rig with larger capacity foam extinguishers plus a few extra.  Those extinguishers that came with the rig just won't help much in case of a fire.  Additionally if your fire extinguisher that came with your rig is a year or older and has not been shaken up or rotated it probably won't work anyway.
For more details on good quality extinguishers call McCoy enterprises 503-393-1937.
I have no interest nor do I receive any compensation from McCoy enterprises.  My recommendation is only prompted by my interest in RVers safety.

I have only heard of it happening one other time myself, and the person responsible for that is currently spending some quality time reflecting on the errors he made. (It was an arson case, the arsonist took the fire extinguishers down and laid them on the floor of the offrice he was tourching so as to make it look like someone had tried to fight the fire.... Result was the extinguishers overheated, explooded and... Put out the fire.  leaving enough evidence to convince the investigators it was arson.  Oh well sucks to be him)

I use foam extinguishers for the most part. Like foam very powerful stuff Grenerally better than powder  THOUGH I do have 25 or 30 plunds of powder too scattered about in 2 different places

Back
Top Bottom