FIRE IN THE MOTOR HOME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

WHEN I GOT MY FIRST MH. I WAS VERY NEW TO THIS TYPE OF CAMPING. I AM SURE THAT MOST OR ALL OF YOU KNOW THIS BUT I DIDN'T.  A FEW YEARS AGO AROUND THIS TIME OF YEAR SNOW MELTING TEMP GOING UP AND BIRDS ARE LOOKING TO BUILD A NEW NEST. WE WERE GOING TO A CAMPGROUND AND MY CO-PILOT ASKED WHAT WAS THAT SMELL. WHEN I PULLED OVER AND LOOKED BACK I SAW SMOKE. BEING A FIREMEN FOR 15 YEARS. THE FIRST THING I SAID WAS ALL [ I WILL LET YOU FILL THIS IN ].  BY THE TIME I HAD IT OUT AND THE LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT GOT THERE I HAD LOST MOST OF EVERY THING. 
WHAT I WANT TO PASS ON IS MAKE SURE THAT BIRDS  OR ANYTHING  HAS BUILT A NEST IN OR ON YOUR MH. WE FOUND OUT THAT A BIRD HAD GOTTEN BEHIND THE REFRIGERATOR FROM THE ROOF AND BUILT A NEST. THERE WAS THE COVER ON THE VENT BUT NO SCREEN.
SO IF YOUR NEW TO CAMPING LIKE I WAS. TAKE TIME AND CHECK EVERY THING OUT BEFORE YOU USE IT. 
P.S. I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE PEOPLE WHO LET ME USE THERE GARDEN HOSE IN MERCER PA.

Being a police dispatcher for 25 years,,, I got a rather good idea of what follows "OH" in the "I'll let you fill this in"

I carry a fairly large fire extinguisher (20lb I think) in addition to the toy one they factory installed.

You should get a book, there are a a few different versions of this book,,, I have one which I think is by Woodalls called "The RV owner's manual" however there is an even better one which I'll bet you have the name of within five replies to this message.  It gives many instructions for the care and feeding of motor homes.  Including specific instructions to check the refrigerator flue from time to time and how to do so and how to clean it.

I won't even attempt to tell you everything that you need to do... The book does that.

Back
Top Bottom