Firearms and Full timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
I was actually thinking about purchasing a shotgun for when we are on our property in Virginia. Bears have been reported in the area. No handguns though. I can?t hit the side of a barn from the inside.

This is where the Taurus "Judge" might be handy. It is a 5 shot, 410 gauge handgun, works great on snakes but with its short barrel it is deafening plus it takes the .45 colt ammo.

Here's a video on the Brenneke 3" Black Magic Magnum slug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpxxWjYREuo

I am one of the very few who may and have legally purchased guns in two different states and that includes here in CA where the rules are tough.

I have a CA REAL ID and a NV Driver's License and Nevada CCW. I am a legal resident of each state. I meet every requirement to buy a gun in either state under both federal and state laws.

In fact, this is the only legal way I can keep a gun in this state when I am in NV, by federal as well as CA law. Or else, I would have to travel between states with the guns in my possession.

And I have, several times, purchased firearms in each states. I am a collector as well as a shooter. I am mostly into 5.7 by 28 MM stuff, and I own every model of gun there is in that caliber that is legal to own. PS-90, FN FiveseveN (both colors), AR57, Masterpiece Arms 57, Ruger 57, CMMG 57 (pistol and rifle) and a few others. I even have a custom made barrel in 5.7 by 28mm for my Thomson Contender. And I have many other calibers, mostly in NV, as most of my firearms are not even legal here in CA.

I put in a binary trigger in my CMMG (also illegal here in CA of course, but not in NV). And I can covert it to 22LR and back to 5.7 in seconds, as the same barrel can be used as 5.7mm is very close to .22 cal. 22LR is a lot cheaper to fire!

I put this rifle together from the parts, including the lower receiver trigger assembly, for the binary trigger.

This is me firing my CMMG 57 rifle converted to .22LR (and is binary in either) at the Carson City Outdoor Range for just a few seconds. About as fast as a full automatic, but perfectly legal (in Nevada).

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
This is where the Taurus "Judge" might be handy. It is a 5 shot, 410 gauge handgun, works great on snakes but with its short barrel it is deafening plus it takes the .45 colt ammo.
A .410 against a bear?? I don't think so...
I own a Judge,and only bring it in the RV or motel room where it would be short range if used, and reduce the danger of an errant round going through the walls and striking an innocent victim..

A .410 against a bear?? I don't think so...
I own a Judge,and only bring it in the RV or motel room where it would be short range if used, and reduce the danger of an errant round going through the walls and striking an innocent victim..
I prefer rifles. My AR15 is my first choice for a number of reasons. It's accurate, you can easily hit a 6" target at 100 yards. Holds 30 rounds and can drop a 1500 pound bear. You can put them under water, roll them in sand or mud and they continue to work. One thumb pin separates the upper and lower making cleaning easy. One thing I really like is you can swap the bolt in 30 seconds and shoot 22LR.

. One thing I really like is you can swap the bolt in 30 seconds and shoot 22LR.
I do that with my CMMG 5.7 x 28 MM. And with a binary trigger. 22LR is a lot cheaper to waste than is 5.7. The 5.7 x 28 MM is the smallest centerfire round there is.

I own everything made in 5.7 by 28MM that is legal to own. Both pistols and rifles.

For those who do not know what a PS-90 looks like, see here. 50 round magazine goes on top.

You can make an AR-57 out of your AR-15. I did that with one of mine.

With the reasons you mentioned for your AR15, I would think a Springfield .308 would be a better choice all the way around, except for the fact the AR15 is a lot lighter.

BTW, my 5.7 mags can hold 50 rounds.

But you can do 100 rounds with your AR15 with one of these.

-Don- Reno, NV

I always carry, however I found this as a great option Byrna | Best Non Lethal Self-Defense Products
This thing carries a powerful pepper round to allow you time for retreat. Not even a vest will interfere with the results.

I have tried mine out on my fence just for giggles, then walked too close after shooting and some of the cloud managed to blow at me, take my breath away and burn my eyes. The solid rounds shot center mass would take a perp down so I load the clip with one pepper then two solid rounds. After watching the videos I just had to have one. That hole in the business end looks like a bad a$$ 50 cal pointed at you.

Thanks! I'm checking it out. Great option

I do that with my CMMG 5.7 x 28 MM. And with a binary trigger. 22LR is a lot cheaper to waste than is 5.7. The 5.7 x 28 MM is the smallest centerfire round there is.

I own everything made in 5.7 by 28MM that is legal to own. Both pistols and rifles.

For those who do not know what a PS-90 looks like, see here. 50 round magazine goes on top.

You can make an AR-57 out of your AR-15. I did that with one of mine.

With the reasons you mentioned for your AR15, I would think a Springfield .308 would be a better choice all the way around, except for the fact the AR15 is a lot lighter.

BTW, my 5.7 mags can hold 50 rounds.

But you can do 100 rounds with your AR15 with one of these.

-Don- Reno, NV
I like an AR15 because it's so durable and easy to clean.

I like an AR15 because it's so durable and easy to clean.
And easy to build and to change things around. I have built many AR-15's from a blank lower receiver. I can now easily do them without any instructions, since I have done many. But for the first couple done, watch something like this.

But always do it as a pistol first, then you may legally change it back and fourth all you want.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom