Firefox 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

OK, I just downloaded and installed the Firefox 2.0 upgrade. So far no major issues other than getting used to losing Tabbrowser Extensions. Some of TBE's features have been integrated into 2.0 but some of the features are not and TBE is not compatible (yet) with 2.0. The 2.0 install automatically disabled all of my add ons/extensions that are not currently compatible with 2.0. The install said that 2.0 will monitor those applets and install them when they become compatible.

Tom, for some reason the alt-s posting shortcut no longer works in 2.0. I get the History drop down menu.

BernieD said:
Tom, for some reason the alt-s posting shortcut no longer works in 2.0. I get the History drop down menu.

Just trying the alt-s with my FF 1.5.0.7

Edit:  It worked, so now to figure out why it doesn't work in FF 2.0  ???

The reason it does not work in FIREFOX 2.0 is that it is trapped hiStory menu option uses the alt-s combination to invoke.

Since I never knew of that shortcut, I don't miss it at all.

John is right. Here's the explanation from the forum software developers:

"When you upgrade to Firefox 2, you may notice that ALT+S suddenly opens the history menu and that ALT+P no longer triggers the preview button.

This is due to a new change in how Firefox handles accesskeys. Since both browsers and websites may want to use the same accesskeys, the developers decided to split the configuration option that specified what key to use for accesskeys into two different ones:

ui.key.chromeAccess - specifies which key (or combination of keys) triggers browser accesskeys
ui.key.contentAccess - specifies which key (or combination of keys) triggers website accesskeys

For whatever reason though, they felt that it was more important to make browser accesskeys override website accesskeys. Therefore, the default functionality in Firefox 2 has website accesskeys assigned to alt+shift. What's even more surprising is that the folks in charge didn't feel that it was important enough to mention in the release notes or the known issues.

Anyway, to fix this, open up a new tab, type about:config in the address bar and hit enter.
Welcome to the advanced Firefox settings area! Lots of nifty stuff here.
Type access into the filter bar
Double-click on ui.key.contentAccess and set its value to 4.

This will make browser and content accesskeys have the same alt+key combination, but will make the content accesskeys have more precedence than the others.

For more information on possible values for this setting, see this."

John In Detroit said:
Since I never knew of that shortcut, I don't miss it at all.

John I found it useful when the reply message is short and the post button doesn't appear on screen. I save a page down screen click :)

Tom

Thanks, it worked.

Now if only someone can show me how to restore closed tabs ??? I am forever closing tabs and then remembering I wanted something else. With TBE, I had a drop down menu to do that.

FF 2.0 does have the ability to restore the previous closed tab, but only one at a time.  I expect Tab Mix Plus (a better choice than TBE) to have a version for FF 2 out soon.  Some of the TM+ functions are included in FF 2 (like session management) but not near enough of them.

When I clicked on "History" and then hovered on "Recently closed tabs" I got a list of 10 tabs with the option to open any one of them, or all 10 in tabs.

Nice feature, adding it to the History menu.  Logical place for it.  That's one of the nice features in the TM+ extension that the Mozilla people have incorporated into FF2.  Now if only the number were configurable.  Thanks for the tip.

John In Detroit said:
When I clicked on "History" and then hovered on "Recently closed tabs" I got a list of 10 tabs with the option to open any one of them, or all 10 in tabs.

Thanks John, that's what I was looking for. I got to rely on that on TBE for all my boo boos :D  Now if only I could teach 2.0 when alt-S means Post and when it means History  ;D ;D

General comment: Didn't know FF2 was out and glad to hear it! Downloaded it and am impressed. They are really doing a great job....Tom's tip on the about:config is a real treat....many things to lay around with ;) Haven't/won't try the IE 7 though :)

I got 2.0b (Beta) some time ago, As more and more extensions are updated I'm liking it more and more,  The last round of extension updates was great,  by the way Extensions are called Add Ons now

Only problem here tonight is my DSL modem took a Digital Signal Loss,  Tech support says "It's toast, butter it" or words to that effect, I'll grab a new one tomorrow and meanwhile I'm on dial up,  Good enough for forum work

Looks like I've stumbled into a den of Firefox fans! ;D? I downloaded the new versions of IE7 and FF2 and have been trying them out and comparing them for most of the last two days.? I've decided to stay with IE7 because I still feel it is faster than FF and does a better job of displaying websites properly no matter what web design software was used to create them.? I know for example on my own website, FF does not properly display the photogalleries - they say it is because it is a MS Frontpage website.? Well, there just happens to be very, very, many Frontpage websites out there!

I like Firefox and it is a great browser for sure and I understand why a lot of people like it.? In the end, it just comes down to personal preferences I guess and my preference is still Internet Explorer.

rickd said:
[...]I've decided to stay with IE7 because [...] and does a better job of displaying websites properly no matter what web design software was used to create them.[...]

They say FF is not as fault-tolerant as the IE. So the spreading and the use of FF may have an educational effect to website-creators.
I personally prefer the FF.

FF not as fault tollerant.. NO,  IE has some specific undocumented features built in that FF does not, these features allow Microsoft and Microsoft page authorship products to force a person wishing to view the page to use IE.

But it's not a fault, it is a way to force people to use their product and it is of questionable legality. (Save for their own corporate sites)

Thus, most folks either 1: Disable that feature in Microsoft page authorship products or 2: Don't use them to begin with

You generally are better off hacker wise with Firefox,  Though a few secruity holes have been found, the good folks at Mozilla patch and issue soon as they hear about it (Microsoft usually spends some time swimming in de nile)

But the gig difference is this.

If you are a terrorist bomber getting ready to blow up someplace,  Do you blow up a crowded  big city bus terminal or airport, or do you head for someplace where odds are if you nail one person you are doiing (per your standard) Good?

You go to Grand Central Station.

And make no mistake, people who write virus programs, trojans, worms and the other junk that attacks our computers and networks are terrorists,  Just like Osamma Bin-Laden, Just like the people who blow up discos and bus stations and restaurants all over the world in the mistaken belief they are doing God's work (The god, note case, they worship is not the one in heaven)

And I personally feel they should get the same treatment.

But we users of fire fox are in the nearly vacant restaurant, for everyone using firefox there are 9 using MSIE, so in order to maximize the damage, hackers go after MSIE, the ones who go after Firefox are the "See I can do it" kind, and often write code that is more or less harmless just does the eqivlent of writing "Kilroy was here" on the wall

Back
Top Bottom