Fires in North Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteva

Fire is less than 2 miles away from our S&B. Fur babies, impotant papers, photos & a few paintings are in the motor home ready to depart if necessary. We are blessed with having the MH to bug out. Parking lots are crowded with folks and their pets forced to evac from some areas. Winn Dixie manager was walking the lot with bottled water for folks along with bowls for any thirsty pets. Cudos to WD.

A dozen homes have already burned but no lives lost. Houses can be rebuilt, items purchases and life can continue. The really bad part is most of these homes were damaged or destroyed 3 years ago during hurricane Michael.

If the winds remain low the county says they can have control of the fire today. Here's hoping for weather to cooperate.

There are currently over 150 wildfires going is Florida. This is partly to blame on the last three years being very dry with very little rain, by Florida standards.

Update: 3/6/22 11:14 AM

Winds are not cooperating, Hellos are picking up water just in back of my house. All boat traffic are forbidden from operating on the lake during this emergency.

Stay safe, winds can turn things around quickly. Prayers for everyone's safety.

Wow, I had no idea that Florida had any exposure to fire. Here in the West, it's a given. Glad you've got your RV ready to roll. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

I just visited the fires page and found that most of the 150 wildfires burning in Florida right now are mostly occurring in the panhandle and nowhere close to me.

Attachments

• Florida fires.png
    Florida fires.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 9
With the changing weather (Climate change is NOT a myth) things like wildfires... Blizzards, Bad storms of all kinds.... INCREASING all over... in fact that increase IS the evidence that climate change is NOT a myth.

I just visited the fires page and found that most of the 150 wildfires burning in Florida right now are mostly occurring in the panhandle and nowhere close to me.
I haven't been watching the news lately and I think I am slightly happier for it. When I saw this post and noted whiteva is in "northern Florida" I checked the news. Yup, north Florida is pretty wide.

It's like saying Orange County is on fire and I live in Phoenix...

If you put a pin in Jacksonville Florida is 400 miles east to west (Pensacola) and another 400 north to south (Miami).

When I watched the morning news on ABC they said 'there are 150 fires burning in Florida right now' they did not mention that most fires were in the panhandle.

UPDATE MONDAY 3/7/22:
Yesterday the county issued evac for a small hospital and the larger VA hospital/home along with several additional areas near Panama City.

I Hooked up the boat and almost moved it to safety however winds changed to more Northerly direction forcing the fire away from us. Nan and I are being very cautious and can "bug out" at any moment.

Fires are continuing to burn due to the large amount of trees blown down from hurricane Michael 3 years ago. You can imagine how dry and rotten they have become. Fire fighters from all over are working in 3 shifts. The news reported the Guard helicopters will continue dump water hitting areas closest to homes as a priority. Those guys are getting to the hard to reach areas making big difference.

Riding out a hurricane is really different. 2 or more days notice with a prediction of landfall, winds & rain are usually over in a few hours. Afterwards we climb out to look over the situation. This fire thing is no real notice except you have to leave in minutes followed with days and days watching the winds changing directions and in some cases total devastation of houses.

Now I have a lot more empathy for western states that have to face the threat of fires.

Newspaper link

Last edited:
My brother still lives in Orange County (Yorba Linda) - He's like the last house on the cul-de-sac abutting a hill behind. He's sent pictures of him and neighbors with hoses out wetting their roofs and the fire like 400 yards up the hill.

Last week at least 3 farmers in this area were burning their fallow fields. I've seen a lot more "controlled" burns here than anywhere else I have been.

Last update 3/9/22:
Rain finally arrived. This will help the situation tremendously.

Many thanks to all the folks that came together during a time of disaster. Only a dozen homes were destroyed and no one died which is a testament to what could have happened.

Safe for the time being:
Cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom