First Boondocking Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayArr

We were headed down a forestry service road, last Thursday, to a Provincial Park when a strip of land opened up between the road and the creek. We stopped and surveyed and it was flat and level, it obviously had water... what more could we want? There were firepits so it's been used before. So we pulled in and set up for the weekend. We ended up with neighbors 500 feet ahead of us and 1000 feet behind us but we couldn't hear them and we all just kept to ourselves. What a great weekend! I filled the fresh water tank from the creek with several trips using a 5 gallon water jug I keep on hand and the batteries were still lighting the top green LED on Sunday afternoon.

I do believe we'll do this a lot more often.

Location: South of Hope BC, find Flood Hope Road and turn off onto Silver Skajit Road. Head south, past the turnoff for Silver Lake Provincial park and around the 14-15KM markers you'll start to see sites by the creekside. If you get to marker 20 on the really big stump at the turnoff for a smaller road the good sites are all but over. The second Provincial park is about 45 minutes further,

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_100434330.jpg
    IMG_20210516_100434330.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 27
I trust you use some sort of sanitizer or filter for that stream water, otherwise Giardia (aka beaver fever) could well strike. Not only will you become infected, your RV water supply will also get contaminated.

Nope, it was a fast running stream from spring snowmelt I didn't see a need to sanitize anything. When I call it a stream I don't mean some small creek you could walk across, this was running full tilt 30-40 feet wide with white caps. No problems, no one got infected or sick.

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_111704146_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210515_111704146_HDR.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210515_111659804.jpg
    IMG_20210515_111659804.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 9
We use creek water at our place in Virginia. I have a water pump with an air tank pumping water from the creek straight to the RV city water inlet. We don’t drink that water but do use it for showers, toilet and kitchen sink. We have a sediment filter in-line before the pump. We will also use this setup for our cabin.

welcome to the boon dock club.. !

once you get hooked on it, you'll think twice before heading to that RV park..!
last time we pulled into an RV park was 2016.

We leave for a three week wander-about next week. We have no route and no reservations. We're just going to go where the wind blows us. The propane genset works great so now with two 30lb tanks of propane the black tank will probably be our limiting factor.

welcome to the boon dock club.. !

once you get hooked on it, you'll think twice before heading to that RV park..!
last time we pulled into an RV park was 2016.
2016?? Cool. (y)

How often do you camp? Are there specific sites you stay at repeatedly or... ?

We leave for a three week wander-about next week. We have no route and no reservations. We're just going to go where the wind blows us. The propane genset works great so now with two 30lb tanks of propane the black tank will probably be our limiting factor.
Those are my best times. When I get tired of driving my wife is great at finding a spot. She is a great co pilot.

2016?? Cool. (y)

How often do you camp? Are there specific sites you stay at repeatedly or... ?
we like to camp at least once a month if possible, i'm not fully retired yet, so still have obligations..
quite often we will head out to the beach for 3 or 4 days to relax and fish, we live close to the Texas gulf coast south west of Houston. there is a lot of beach here, some only possible with 4 wheel drive.
sometimes we head to Corpus and stay on the beach there, other times locally in the hill country and ride my motorcycle. longer trips we stay anywhere we can, I have used Ramblin Ralph as a good reference for sites in New Mexico and surrounding areas.

we like to camp at least once a month if possible, i'm not fully retired yet, so still have obligations..
quite often we will head out to the beach for 3 or 4 days to relax and fish, we live close to the Texas gulf coast south west of Houston. there is a lot of beach here, some only possible with 4 wheel drive.
sometimes we head to Corpus and stay on the beach there, other times locally in the hill country and ride my motorcycle. longer trips we stay anywhere we can, I have used Ramblin Ralph as a good reference for sites in New Mexico and surrounding areas.
Thanks for the input solarman.

We hit quite a few TX sites in the winter, almost exclusively State Parks. Great rates w/ TX pass and excellent campgrounds for the most part. Brazos Bend State Park, and Lake Corpus Christi State Park are two of the parks SW of Houston we visit.

Haven't really done any boondocking in TX unless you count parking in friends/relatives driveways for several days. :)

Need to do some more exploring as to other possibilities!

That's one of the main reasons i wanted an RV Boondocking is so much fun . I used to do it with my van . But my MH is much better.

Does anyone know good places say like in eastern Ohio or western Pa that's BD friendly ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom