First camp of the season -- successful!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DutchmenSport

We have a long standing tradition. For the first evening of our arrival, first trip of the new year, we arrive at the campsite, set up camp and then have our "traditional" supper of Cheese, crackers, and wine. Every year, no matter if the first camp of the new year is on January 1 or December 31, the first evening at arrival is celebrated this way.

Over the years, we've purchased all sorts of cheeses and wines and crackers. We kept it real simple this year.

We arrived at Tippecanoe River State Park (Indiana) on March 31. This was our celebration!

LhXemF0.jpg

8SM7TQE.jpg

zDcRTVb.jpg

Here's our campsite at the park. Yes, we were about the only ones there. It was marvelous, in spite of tornado warning and rain, we had a great time:

LXPidUZ.jpg

YQOXrZA.jpg

The second tradition is to have T-bone steak and eggs for breakfast the first morning of our first campout of the season.

This year, I cheated and got a Porterhouse. My wife likes the Filet side and she leaves the rest of the loin for me (The T-bone part).

So, as always for this breakfast, I did the cooking.

First sauté the onions using REAL butter instead of cooking oil or some other type of artificial grease. Then divide the onions in half. Put the meat on top of half of the onions, and scoop the remaining onions and put them on top of the meat. Season the meat with a desirable seasoning. Add a very light sprinkle of salt. Then cover with a lid. Let the juices and the butter drip into the griddle drip pan and constantly pull that drip pan and baste the meat, over and over. Cook until the desired temperature. We like 155 degrees which leave a little wiggle room to bring the temp up to 160. Use a meat thermometer. The wife likes the middle just, slightly pink. I like mine, no pink. The constant basting of the juices keeps the meat really moist, even well done!

VS2pQlJ.jpg

mEt9gqS.jpg

k3xj4c6.jpg

zlgA7HO.jpg

Next, do the eggs. Over easy - fried hard. In other words, do an over easy, but at the last minute before pulling the eggs off the heat, break the yoke and let them get solid.

RGZ1iVN.jpg

The end result:

hg0XUV3.jpg

fIJNrQj.jpg

So then, after eating, we were ready for exploring:

iAlaxRv.jpg

WROmMEs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom