First long trip in new motorhome......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph

We are going to Fort Wilderness in Disney World in our Class C.? We will travel down 95.? I would imagine we will just do a quick overnight at a Walmart because we don't want to spend the extra time at a campground on the way down.?
Do you just go in and talk to a manger to see if it is ok?? Are there any nice spots to stop on 95 you would recommend?? I? think we will be stopping either the end of South Carolina or into Georgia.? Thanks for your help.

We stop at Customer Service and ask. It might save you some trouble to call ahead if you know where you want to stop and make sure they allow overnight RV parking. www.walmart.com show locations and phone numbers.

Thanks.? I don't know about calling ahead yet cause I just don't know how far we will get.? We have driven to Florida many times but this is our first time in a motorhome.?
Do most Walmarts allow you to park there overnight?
I am hoping someone on here has some experience and mabye some suggestions with ok places to stay the night.

Our travels on I-95 last year revealed many road side camp areas which were quite nice.  Typically a State sign showing fuel, restaurants and camp grounds are a mile or so before the exits.  We used our campground Directory and a map, called ahead and checked.  They all had showers, etc. and very nice campground personnel.  Look for the family owned facilities.  They stay in business for us and because of us.

It was quieter and less congested than a Walmart.  Disney should be nice this time of year.  Watch out for gold carts buzzing everywhere....

I will check into that too.? We just wanted to be able to do something quick. Don't want to waste too much time getting to Disney.? On the way back may be a different story.? It isn't a money thing but a time thing.
Were some of these right off of 95?? I don't want to have to get off 95 and then drive and drive to get to a campground.
Thanks.

steph said:
We are going to Fort Wilderness in Disney World in our Class C.? We will travel down 95.? I would imagine we will just do a quick overnight at a Walmart because we don't want to spend the extra time at a campground on the way down.?
Do you just go in and talk to a manger to see if it is ok?? Are there any nice spots to stop on 95 you would recommend?? I? think we will be stopping either the end of South Carolina or into Georgia.? Thanks for your help.

SuperWalMart at I-95 exit 8 does allow - go east on 278- its on left a mile or two. Area is fairly safe as its not around any big towns.

Thanks blueblood.  Is that South Carolina or Georgia? 

Many are a mile or two max away from I-95.  We stayed at one in Skippers Virginia that took us off I -95 2 miles then north a few miles (the right direction).  It was on a hill, uncrowded with nice facilities.  We left north to the next exit on 95 to continue our Journey to D.C..  On the way back we stayed at Swamp Fox which was right on Ii-95, south of Darlington.  They have a closed golf driving range and can be seen from the highway.

My last note said to watch for the gold carts.  I meant golf carts......

Thanks petelakeland.? This is (like I say in the title) our first long trip so I don't really know what to expect.? ????
I just don't want to waste anytime getting to WDW!? ?;D
I knew you meant golf carts.? Are there a lot of them at FW?

Thanks blueblood.

Anybody else got any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.? I really enjoy this forum.? So many nice/helpful people.? I am so glad I found it. :)

Out side of Animal Kingdom, our Gran kids enjoyed Universal Studios and Sea World much more than Disney.  For that matter we did too.  We and they also really enjoyed Sarasota and the beach and bay front there for shopping  Parasailing and beach itself.  We enjoyed the West (Gulf) coast for more than the east coast and thought the people were friendlier.  Just our thought , perhaps it was us are just the days itself.  Naples area is beautiful too, but don't believe the kids would enjoy it as much.  Wet and wild across from Universal stuidos is also great.  There is a place near Old Town to purchase Tickets for all events at a dicount price, should you like let me know and I will look up the info for you.  They treated up super good and saved us a lot of dinero.  Enjoy your trip. 

Thanks Shayne.? I love Disney!? I am looking more at info on a place to stop on 95 on the way down.? Got any ideas?

Thanks mfa for the link.

Anyone else got any info about places to stop along 95 for a quick, safe overnight??????? ???

Thanks!

pardon the delay...  There were many golf carts buzzing everywhere....

Anyway you ask about I 95 campgrounds..  Check this link out http://www.usastar.com/i95/camping.htm .  It shows campgrounds and exits, etc for each State.  Not sure where you are coming but it is informative.  I typed in I-95 forum and I -95 camping.    Have fun and go vote. ???

Thanks petelakeland.  I will check out the link.

Yep, everyone should get out and vote. 

Wow, do I envy you. We went to the Fort back in January and I have to say, it was the best vacation of my entire life. If we weren't trying to buy a new home right now, we'd already have reservations for January, '07!

We called and stayed at McIntosh Lake RV park at exit 58 (I believe) in Ga.. It cost us less than $20 for full hook-up. Lake Harmony is right beside it and seemed a little nicer for about $25. We pulled out right at 8 am the next day and with a fuel stop, we were at the Fort just after 12pm. The key is to make sure you have a copy of "The Next Exit". That book is worth it's weight in gold for interstate travelling and various "pit stops". Especially for RV'ers.

Have a great time! Let us know how it went.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom