First longer MH trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I had my first experience driving a motorhome on a kinda-long trip yesterday.  Unfortunately (1) it wasn't my rig and (2) I wasn't camping... but taking a 1989 Eldorado 28' Class C (owned by my employer) a couple hundred miles round-trip for required emissions testing.  It was an educational drive to say the least, and brought up a few observations & questions along the way.

- On the first leg of the trip, I was following a co-worker pretty closely running at 70+ mph.  This was a strain for this Ford 460 in particular, and even flat Illinois hills would cause a drop in speed even at full throttle.  After about an hour of that style of driving, I noticed that the engine temp and fuel pressure were quite high... still in the "Normal" range but dangerously near the top end of it.  I slowed to 60-65mph, and the engine temp came down immediately although the oil pressure stayed higher up there.

- The engine was LOUD when running highway speeds at pretty high RPMs.  No exhaust leaks or anything, but I had to really crank the radio to hear anything but rushing air from under the hood.  I got used to it, but I don't think I'd want to travel more than a couple hours like that.  Are all older rigs like that?  Or does firewall sound insulation differ between models?

- On the return leg (yes the MH passed emissions once I replaced the gas cap) I decided to take it easy.  My co-worker had gone ahead, and I get paid by the hour.  ;)  Set the cruise at 55mph all the way home, and the overall drive (although longer) was much more enjoyable.  Both engine temp and oil pressure stayed well within normal ranges.  I was craving a Burger King chicken sandwich (who knows why), so I stopped and got carryout and then sat at the dinette and ate with the radio playing and a few house lights on.  Quite relaxing. 

- I strained the already weak engine battery by trying to start the generator, and the 460 shut down on me while I was parked.  Dead.  Got a little worried until it occurred to me to try and jump the engine battery from the house battery (which I knew had juice because all the inside lights were still burning bright).  Voila!  She fired right up and I was on my way, thanks to one little hint I've picked up along the way from this forum.

- Back on the highway a pickup w/ truck camper got in behind me, right at 55mph.  I don't know about him, but as I drove I felt a little RV comraderie with our mini-convoy.  I knew that if I had any more problems while on the road, I already had help right behind me.  I made it back without incident, feeling somewhat empowered and knowing that I still want to try this "motorhome thing".  ;)

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Congratulations, now you have experienced some of the appeal of the RV lifestyle.  Life is much nicer at 55, as you discovered.  Some people never figure that part out and miss so much.

Shayne

Glad you had an opportunity to sample the Rving road bit.  Yes,  Most of the older units in the C and A classes were a bit on the noisy side, not all but many of them. Again  about 90 to 92 then factories wised up, not much , but a little and started to notice that the noise was indeed annoying and started little by little doing something about it.  Today's units are much quiter and hope they continue to do so.      The newer the better in most cases.  Also the Higher the class of unit the better. 

cuts_up

DH's comfortable speed in our 1993 34' Southwind is about 67.  My comfort zone is 45-55, but I can drive easily at 62 on smooth wide highways in light traffic. 

Joe Bee

We moved up to a class A because of the dog house noise and the foot room of our C.
Joe Bee

scottydl

Site Team
Joe Bee said:
We moved up to a class A because of the dog house noise and the foot room of our C.

FWIW, I too am looking at Class A's (moreso than Class C's, although that wasn't always the case) for my personal MH.  Glad to hear they may be a *little* quieter at least!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heprynn
Top Bottom