First Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rottenweiler

Good evening.  I have lurked for a long time and became a member several weeks ago.  Not new to camping/rving, but we recently purchased a 30.5' class C and are heading out soon toward TN and possibly further south for several weeks.  My wife and I enjoy the life style along with our two dogs.  We plan to take our dogs with us 99% of the time and hope we do not encounter many problems with acceptance into campgrounds.  We have had no issues in the last two years and, in fact become the hit of the campground, when other campers/kids are introduced to our 160 lb. rottweiler.  Not fat, just BIG.  Hope everyone has a great Fall experience and take care.
Richard

Mavarick

Welcome to the forum Rich. There are many here that go camping with the furry kids. We have a lab and silkie and one or the other is always attracting the neighbors so I know what you mean. We have never had any problems in CG's and most have the usual rules about barking etc. You shouldn't have any problems, have fun.

tlsheetz

I have owned many of dogs and the kindest sweetest most loving dogs have been rocs. My only problem with rocs is they do not live long and have always wondered why. I gave up on them after losing two due to internal bleed outs and brain tumor. I just can't take the pain of losing another wonderful loving roc. Hope yours live a long time.

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
With a pair of Rocs, I fear you will indeed run into issues at campgrounds.  Both Trailer Life and Woodalls campground directories have information on dog limitations -- use them to scout things out. 

Never tether them outside your trailer without one of you present.  In general, RV dogs need regular and frequent walks, always on leash.  Keep them from marking in other peoples' sites and vehicles.  Pick up all leavings immediately upon dumping. If the campground has a dog run use it.

But then you all probably know this already. 

Enjoy your critters.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
Richard,

Regrettably, your favorite breed, as well as pit bulls (pure and mixed), dobermans, and even German shepherds are very often a restriction in many private campgrounds.

No doubt this will offend you at first glance but insurance companies, home and otherwise, are beginning to deny coverage when these larger breeds, which have often been bred to be aggressive, are present. That's probably the biggest problem - guilt by association.

As noted, almost all parks will post their pet policies clearly, and reviews and park lists typically note them. Very few of us travel without some pet of some nature.

Be sure to check so you are not disappointed but almost everyone enjoys well behaved dogs and well behaved owners!  8)

rottenweiler

Thanks for the replies.  Having owned other rocs, we are aware of their life span and yes it is always a concern.  We only have the one rottie, the other is a young lab/springer spaniel mix.  Our rottie is very well trained and is a therapy dog at local nursing homes.  We understand the concern of others and campground issues.  By the way, we always leave our campsite in better condition than we found it.  As far as being well behaved -- I am and my dogs are, but DW sometimes needs to be chained and gagged. ;)
Richard

Top Bottom