First Time Buyer...2006 PACE-ARROW M-38L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kriscad

First Time Buyer... We are looking at a 2006 PACE-ARROW M-38L (FORD)TRPL SLD. The rep we dealt with today, just didn't seem to have all the answers to the questions we had.  Such as the gas motor vs deisel motor, etc.  We really could use input on this brand and model, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

I have a gas 37' PA with a Banks Pak and haul a 24' enclosed trailer.  It does the job. Frame has has been reinforced as has the hitch.  Poor mileage withthe tag axle.  I love the stability of the tag and sure don't baby the Arrow on the road.
Always drive the limit and plus and don't baby it on the hills. But all this is on a 98.  Would I do the same today, No Way Jose.  Wouldn't even buy the Pace  Would be looking at the Coachman Sportscoach or a used American Dream and even consider an American Tradition, and the complete line of Monaco, all in the Diesels with at least 330HP.  Others will deisagree and have their own preferances and to each his or her own. That's just MHO.  When You are buyng in the 38' class GO DEISEL.  Gas just don't get it on the larger units.  No should you choose a smaller unit, gas is OK and maybe the 25K difference in price between the two will have a bearing, but that's for you to decide.  You asked and that's my idea. Maybe look at a 2 or 3  year old unit with all the goodies on it and save a bundle.

The Pace 38L is a nice rig - have looked at that one myself.  But I would have misgivings about a 38 footer on the Ford chassis, which I believe is a 22,000 lb GVWR.  Any 38 footer is a big heavy rig and I would want at least the Workhorse W24 (24,000 lb GVWR) underneath. Check the CCC numbers for this coach and make sure you have enough carry capacity for your "stuff".  1500-2000 lb of CCC is probably sufficient, depending on your planned use.

Diesel is a much better choice for a rig this size, but it's also a big hit on the budget. Figure $30,000 additional for a similar coach with a diesel powered chassis underneath. For that extra price you get a rugged and good-performing diesel engine, a superior transmission, much larger GVWR/GCWR, air brakes and probably air suspension as well.

Jeff:

I also had a 98 Pace with the Ford chassis and had great luck with it but the W24 shows almost 2500 lbs more carrying capacity than the Ford.
Fleetwood shows a basic weight that only gives you 1700 pounds in teh Ford. Bu the time the options and fluids are added my guess is that you will be down to less than 900 pounds of usefull load.

You will also love the 5 speed Allison tranny over the three speed Ford that I think it still in the 2006 Pace.

Thanks for all the feedback, this board has alot of great advice, I think I just need to take time to test drive more, my wife really liked the floorplan on one of the ones we looked at.

You will also love the 5 speed Allison tranny over the three speed Ford that I think it still in the 2006 Pace.

Actually, the 2006 Workhorse chassis comes with a 6 speed Allison, even better!

Bu I think the Ford F53 chassis now comes with Ford's 5 speed automatic.  At worst it's the 4R100 4 speed, which was used in prior ears.

kriscad: The Workhorse chassis is an extra costs option on the Pace's and you should consider that if this is the rig you want.  However, Fleetwood offers essentially identical floor plans in many of their coach product lines and you can probably find a very similar floor plan in a diesel, if that's what you would prefer.  Check out the Discoverey and the Bounder Diesel for possibly similar floor plans.

[edit]Floow-up info added[/edit]
I checked the Fleetwood site and the 38L floorplan is not available in any Fleetwood diesel. It's just in the Pace and Southwind product lines (both gas onl).

decisions... decisions... lol

It really comes down to the diesel engine... after reading all the comments on this post and others, I feel that is the overall choice.  I need to see if the Discovery will have the interior floorplan my wife liked on the the Pace.

kriscad:

I do not agree. We owned 2 pace Arrows and I think the quality of the Pace interiors today match the low end diesels and it was much easier to maintain the gassers myself without the exposure to "diesel sized" service bills.

With the new W24 chassis you can get good carrying capacity with a gas-powered chassis. If it has the floorplan you want, can carry and store the weight you need why not go with gas.

We purchased the Tradewinds to begin full timing because we needed the storage and weight carrying capacity that our 37' Pace Arrow did not have, not because it was diesel-powered - and I feel it was the right choice for us .

I need to see if the Discovery will have the interior floorplan my wife liked on the the Pace.

I checked and unfortunately none of the Fleetwood diesels offer that floor plan, It's available only in the Southwind and te Pace Arrow.

A Workhorse W24 will definitely haul that large a rig around, but fuel economy and performance will be better with a diesel. And with less interior noise in the driving area as well.

Jeff Cousins said:
kriscad:

I do not agree. We owned 2 pace Arrows and I think the quality of the Pace interiors today match the low end diesels and it was much easier to maintain the gassers myself without the exposure to "diesel sized" service bills.

With the new W24 chassis you can get good carrying capacity with a gas-powered chassis. If it has the floorplan you want, can carry and store the weight you need why not go with gas.

We purchased the Tradewinds to begin full timing because we needed the storage and weight carrying capacity that our 37' Pace Arrow did not have, not because it was diesel-powered - and I feel it was the right choice for us .

I think we have narrowed it down to gasser now... since we will only be using it 1-3 weekends a month, and not full-time.  Still have more to test drive :)

As a PA 37' owner, May I suggest, anything over 35' get the Banks Pak.  You'll need it.  That goes for any other brand also.  Another suggestion - Go Ford.  It's more costly but well worth the investment.

RV Roamer said:
More costly?? I don't understand - all the Workhorse chassis models I am aware of are priced higher than the Fords.
?

Maybe it is more costly to maintain a? ? Fix?Or Repair Daily? vehicle. ;D ;D

Not when you add the Banks Pak  First On Race Day.  Personally I wouldn't drive it, if it were made by God's Mechanical Crap.  LOL

Ron said:
  Fix Or Repair Daily vehicle. ;D ;D
And here I was thinking it meant Found ORubbish Dump ;) The things you learn in this Forum  ROFL.
BTW, no offense to any Ford owners, in our house we have a constant battle between Ford and Holden (our local GM product). For me, anything so long as it isn't a Ford. For Her, has to be a Ford (or Mazda). Go figure ;)

Mazda - ugh

I have had 2 of their products & would not ever never own another.  Low quality for a Japanese product.

I got to test drive an Allegro Bay today - and liked it better than the Pace!

saga continues... lol

If you are going to step up, might just as well try the American Tradition.  Not in the Dream or Easgle class but a fine coach.

It might break my heart to do so, but yeah,  I'd break down and try it.  LOL  Just like all these guys that can';t stand Ford, but yet they drive Dodge with the Cummins,  Ford is major stock holder in them.  Yet Ford uses their own Engine  GO FIGURE.  Thinking they might all be the same, just change the names.  Makes you wonder sometimes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom