First timer mistakes....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scale, don't feel bad.  We've been living full time in our coach for 3 years and my wife is just recently starting to turn on the vent fan before she starts cooking instead of after the smoke alarm goes off.

Took a gamble on this one.  Every time I would ask for something on a drive day my DW would roll her eyes.  We would drive for hours and hours and my vice is Coke Zero. 

Another thing that was wearing on me is my DW navigator would tell me we had to change lanes about 100 yards before we needed to be over.

We'll the next rest stop I asked if she wanted to drive.  She reluctantly said she would.  I sat in the passenger's seat as sweat poured off her face as she drove.  I played a game on my phone and never said a word.  After about 45 minutes I said if you want we can change spots.  She said I do as soon as I can find a place to get off.  I pointed out spot after spot but she somehow froze and wouldn't get off.  Finally I said wherever you are comfortable.  She pulls off at a place with a thick and busy intersection.  I suggest stopping on the side of the ramp this one time but she refuses.  We make a right turn and now are in thick stop and go traffic with a (wide) dolly and car in tow.  I've been married a while and never raised my voice or got a smart-guy attitude. 

She says I cant find a place to wide enough to pull over.  I said you see that place with the huge sign that says no trucks and no turn around?  Yeah.  Pull in there - I will explain to anyone why we are here.  They will understand.

Since then the Coke Zero's come fast and cold and I get a 2 mile warning with a countdown on when we need to change lanes!

Here is my list thus far in 9 months of RV ownership:

We just added 1 item to our checklist:  Make sure the step is in before I follow my DW's guidance while backing out of our drive.  I left the door slightly open and the steps got bent against a retaining wall.  I used a crow bar to fix it (I bent it back).  This was day 1 of our first 2 week trip.  Thankfully it wasn't a show stopper.

Others:
1.  Took a parking lot turn too tight - ripped up my basement doors on a metal post.  $5k damage.
2.  When trying to turn around I tried a shortcut through an empty lot.  The curb dinged one basement storage door - not too bad.

scale obsession said:
I also became slightly embarrassed when I set off the smoke alarm in our TT early saturday morning, cooking bacon.

I had to take out the battery in the smoke alarm right next the cooktop for the same reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom