Fishing In Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Well, we didn't use our fly rods, in fact we went to "Wallyworld" and bought some cheap rods and reels; but the result was a lot of fun and some good tasting fish.

Tim (husband) hired a guide and went out on the "Lake of the Woods" in search of some fun fishing.? They caught their limit in Walleye in just under a 1/2 hour, then spent the rest of the morning doing catch and release, always looking for the big one.? That afternoon they headed for another part of the lake and fished for Northern Pike.? Tim caught some nice ones; but eventually landed a pretty nice sized one.

I couldn't stand not fishing, so the next day we both went out with the guide and took the 11 month old puppy with us.? Again the Walleye limit was caught in under an hour.? I caught a couple of 20'' ones and had a ball.? Wallleye don't fight like a Trout; but they taste magnificant!!!? That afternoon again we went looing for No. Pike.? Didn't catch any great big ones, but did catch a number of them.? They do a lot more fighting and are fun on the line.

We are now in Winnipeg and what a beautiful city it is.? We walked the River Park and into the city.....beautiful.? It reminds us a bit of San Diego.

Ive attached a few fish shots... :p

Marsha~

Attachments

• NorthernPike.jpg
    NorthernPike.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 61
  • LakeWoods 026.jpg
    LakeWoods 026.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 52
  • LakeWoods 042.jpg
    LakeWoods 042.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 54
Marsha

Nice fish and it almost gives me the yen to do some fishing again but unfortunetly have a partner who doesn't like fish:( :(

Marsha,

Thanks for the fishing report and photos. I too would have had withdrawal symptoms if I couldn't break out the fishing tackle. WalMart is a good source when one doesn't have the "right" gear for local fishing.

Lorna,

Catch and release, then you don't have to cook 'em and I don't have to eat 'em ;)

Marsha - I've heard that Pike are not very tasty? Maybe fresh is best?

Lorna - So go fishing without Ned. He can stay home and read SF (I've got lots of books for sale at our yard sale and no one in Cortez seems to want to buy 25-cent SF books so I'd love to donate to Ned).

Tom - what's stopping you? I thought you had itchy hitch and were ready to go?

Ned - freeze what you don't want, bring 'em to Quartzsite, and we'll eat 'em. Are you bringing any salmon or halibut back from Alaska?????

GO BRONCOS !!! (Sorry)

wendycoke said:
Marsha - I've heard that Pike are not very tasty? Maybe fresh is best?

Walleye and Northern fresh (like a shore lunch) are hard to tell apart.  In my experience that Northern don't taste as well as Walleye once frozen.

If you, or your better yet the guide, are experience in filleting out the Y-bones, Northerns are not difficult to eat.  If you don't filet out the Y-bones you have to be real careful.

Wendy,

No room in the freezer for such things as fish.  Need the space for pizzas, ice cream, you know, all the necessities :)

GO PACKERS !!! (Not sorry)

Ned said:
Wendy,

No room in the freezer for such things as fish.? Need the space for pizzas, ice cream, you know, all the necessities :)

GO PACKERS !!! (Not sorry)

Bring the fish and I'll trade you homemade pizza for it.

Ok, GO BRONCOS (and I'm not sorry)....it's ok, they're playing Houston.

Wendy

No you CAN'T give Ned any books - NO NO.  He has two stacks of magazines and many books to read now :(  I had my halibut in a restaurant and don't like salmon.  Question - Why is there an L in salmon?  I didn't do any fishing in Alaska and didn't bring any back.

Can't have too many SF books.  Ignore her, Wendy :)

Lorna said:
Wendy

No you CAN'T give Ned any books - NO NO.? He has two stacks of magazines and many books to read now :(? ?I had my halibut in a restaurant and don't like salmon.? Question - Why is there an L in salmon?? I didn't do any fishing in Alaska and didn't bring any back.

Because it comes from the Latin word salmo, pronounced sal-mo.  In fact the name of its genus is Salmo.  But the Romans did not know that, the just asked for a baked salmo.

Ned - You can sneak the SF books in while Lorna is out doing touristy things.

Carl - So where did the "n" in salmon come from and where did the "l" go??

Carl - So where did the "n" in salmon come from and where did the "l" go??

The Old French added an n to the word and dropped the l to make it saumon.? ?Middle English (see Chaucer) picked it up, and then probably backformed the l without changing the French pronunciation.

Try pronouncing sal-mon phonetically and then rapidly and you will see why the l sound was dropped by the French and not picked up again by the English.

Personally I love eating fresh caught Northern Pike but you have to be a bit cautious of bones because there are many fine, soft bones that are easy to miss while cleaning the fish.  Not a problem with the bigger fish, though.

I'd rather have Northern than walleye, but I know I'm in the minority on that opinion.

Back
Top Bottom