Fla. To Calif. what should we not miss on the way home, not in a hurry ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

Presently stopping in Winter Haven Fla. to visit with an old buddy I haven't seen in over 30 years. Following the visit we plan on heading back home to central Ca.  Interested in avoiding cold weather. Looking for recommendations on camping sites and points of interest so we can kind of plan a route back home.

Thanks

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
This year, avoiding cold weather has been almost impossible without heading south out of the country :)  If you take I-10 west to CA, there are many, many interesting points of interest along the way.  If you depart from I-10 once you get into Texas, you could visit south Texas, and perhaps stay warmer.

If you give us some idea of your interests, we can list some places that you might enjoy.

wally12

I will try to narrow our focus a bit. My wife in a sewing junky ( two sewing machines on board, can,t complain, we found some really unique tropical material in Key West and she has already whipped out two shirts for me ) anything to do with quilts, cloth, sewing gets here excited. We both enjoy historical points of interest. I am a pilot so anything to do with flying and cars turns my crank. Beautiful, or unique scenery My wife has some distant relatives in central Texas so as long as its not freezing we will be headed in that direction
hope this helps
Thanks

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
I can't help on the sewing, but the Pensacola Naval Air Museum is worth a visit.  For history, Texas has a lot, including the Alamo in San Antonio and much in the hill country around Fredericksburg and Johnson City.  If you belong to AAA, get the tour books for the states of interest.

Lowell

It may be some time before you get to Arizona but if you are traveling on I-10, the Pima Air Museum in Tucson is very nice as well as touring Davis Mothan Air Force Base. Davis is only open for tours 1-day a month as I recall.  In Mesa, Arizona, you can visit the Commemorative Air Force at Falcon Field and even get a ride in a B-17 if the luck is right. 

Don Jensen

I concur with Ned about the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.  I am a retired Coast Guard and Naval Aviator and they have a wonderful selection of aircraft (one of which I have personally flown) and a very good Vietnam POW exhibit.  One of the best in the country.

Don

ArdraF

Someone mentioned the Fredericksburg TX area.  I was an Army brat, but Jerry and I both loved the Nimitz War of the Pacific Museum in Fredericksburg.  One or two hours won't be near enough time to see it.  ;D  Also, we love Big Bend N.P.  I've heard that Tulsa has some great museums, including one with Russell bronzes that I may get to see some day.  Then, as you get west, the entire Four Corners area has a lot of interesting places.

ArdraF

Top Bottom