Flag draped caskets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just saw a news clip about all the American remains coming home from North Korea. Anyone recognize the flag covering the caskets. Why isn't it American flags.
I just hope it is American remains and not remains of people from NK. I don't trust him at all.

I have not seen the news on this but i agree they may be trying to pull a fast one. I wonder if there is a way to test the ashes to verify.

durangod said:
I have not seen the news on this but i agree they may be trying to pull a fast one. I wonder if there is a way to test the ashes to verify.

Dave, I haven't heard that the remains are ashes. I was thinking bones.

Rene T said:
Dave, I haven't heard that the remains are ashes. I was thinking bones.

OH OK, not sure why or how i got it in my head that they were ashes.  Well we know bones can be tested so lets hope it is who they say it is so the families can put them to rest finally.

John From Detroit said:
If bones they can indeed test.  If ashes.. I'm not sure. As to the flag.. Did not see the news clip so no comment.

They said it could take years.
Just did a search and found out it's the United Nations Flag.  I feel it should be American Flags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_Nations

According to various reports, the caskets were draped in UN flags in N. Korea for transit to Osan, S. Korea because the Korean theater is a UN operation and the remains had not been formally turned over to the US at that point. Army Gen. Vincent Brooks, the United Nations Command, Combined Forces Command and U.S. Forces-Korea commander, formally received the remains at Osan. There the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency began processing the remains and preparing them for transit to the U.S. Once their initial work is completed, there will be a formal ceremony at Osan where the cases will be re-draped with American flags to repatriate them and begin the final journey home. The remains will be flown to a DPAA lab in Hawaii where it could take months to determine how many sets of remains there are, since commingled bones are common in long term war recoveries. Identification of the remains could take much longer.

Welcome home brothers in arms, and thank you for your service...

NY_Dutch said:
According to various reports, the caskets were draped in UN flags in N. Korea for transit to Osan, S. Korea because the Korean theater is a UN operation and the remains had not been formally turned over to the US at that point. Army Gen. Vincent Brooks, the United Nations Command, Combined Forces Command and U.S. Forces-Korea commander, formally received the remains at Osan. There the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency began processing the remains and preparing them for transit to the U.S. Once their initial work is completed, there will be a formal ceremony at Osan where the cases will be re-draped with American flags to repatriate them and begin the final journey home. The remains will be flown to a DPAA lab in Hawaii where it could take months to determine how many sets of remains there are, since commingled bones are common in long term war recoveries. Identification of the remains could take much longer.

Welcome home brothers in arms, and thank you for your service...

Thank you for explaining.  +1 welcome home. 

If any final resting places are in my area i will drive to greet them or visit them afterwards to show my appreciation and honor them. But i suspect most will be laid to rest at Arlington

Back
Top Bottom