Flat tire/locking lug nut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amonfamily

Hello.  I'm new to the forum and I came on looking for help with a problem we have on our 1996 Fleetwood Discovery motorhome.  We purchased it used, and have only had it about four months.  Yesterday, my husband went to check the tire pressure on the back curbside tire, and the valve got stuck and wouldn't stop blowing air out of our tire.  Now we are stuck with a mostly flat tire.  We thought we were lucky that this happened at a TA center which happens to have a TA Truck Service/Freightliner Service Point garage.  However, when they got us in the bay to take the tire off and replace the valve, they found that it had a locking lug nut on the hubcap, and apparently no way to take it off.  We were not provided with anything for this when we bought the RV.  Does anyone have any advice on how we can get the tire off?

I called Good Sam ERS, which we purchased, but it seems like no one wants to come help us.  We suspect the tire shop may be able to help also, but we are in New York (I-84W exit 5) and it doesn't seem like anyone here is very helpful.

The Amon Family
Cherie, Kyle and Emily

Update: I've learned that Fleetwood/Freightliner would not have put the locking lug nuts on the unit, so it is an aftermarket add-on.  I'm calling the dealership where we purchased the RV, but I don't know if they will be able to help since this was a used motorhome.  Has anyone else every experience this same problem and if so, how did you resolve it?  I have been told that they could potentially be cut off, but I don't know how that could be done without damage.  I suppose if that is our only option, we'll have to do it, since we don't want to stay camped here forever. :)

Our spare tire was mounted underneath the chassis and had a special antitheft lug nut.  We never received the matching wrench, so when we had to use the spare, then cut it off.  It cost us about an hour of labor.

Thanks for the reply Ned.  Turns out that it isn't exactly a locking lug nut, we finally got someone very helpful to come out via the Good Sam ERS.  They are Cherry Tire Service in Maybrook, NY 845-427-2112.  We were so pleased with their service, that I wanted to let everyone know.  The name of the guy who helped us was JC.  He has been servicing tires for 40 years and is very knowledgable.

He did not get the lug nuts off.  They are just regular nuts used to hold the hub caps on, but they are too tight to get off with a wrench, and they are too close to the side of the hub cap to use a socket unless it is VERY thin, which no one seems to have.

JC was able to replace the valve core without taking the tire off, which is all we needed.  The tire is now no longer leaking air and we have the recommended 100lbs of pressure, so we are good to move again.

Happy Camping to all.  And I'm glad I found this forum, I will keep it bookmarked.  I already found some other useful topics in here that I intend to read.

Cherie

Normally, you can replace a valve core without dismounting the tire.  Glad to hear you're all set.  I would suggest you get a thinwall socket for the nuts and carry it with you for the next time.

Ned said:
Normally, you can replace a valve core without dismounting the tire.? Glad to hear you're all set.? I would suggest you get a thinwall socket for the nuts and carry it with you for the next time.

A person might want to get a six pointed socket also if they are available.? If the nut requires a lot of torque to move, a 12 point socket can jam.? ? I use a 6-point 1/2-inch drive impact socket for all my wheel nut tasks.? It has taken up to a calculated 400 lb-ft of torque without jamming.

Another item is a nut cracker -- mechanics type.? ?See some at http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_tools_11098276_2/102-3360055-1560103?search-alias=tools&keywords=nut%20splitter.  Of course, once this is used, you had better have a replacement nut handy.

There are several ways to cut the locking nut off with little or no damage,,,

The very worst case is that they use a cutting tourch, inexpertly, and damage to rim  This is very possible if it's clear coated chrome or something like that.. if it is a plane painted steel rim with what is called a Simulator (Wheel cover) and the cover can be removed then the danger of rim damage goes way, way, way, way down (Indistinguishable from zero down)

Second worse is they damage the lug,  The odds of this happening are actually fairly high,  the cost of replacement of the damaged lug is also fairly low well under $100, in fact when done in conjunction with the tire change can hig closter to $25.00... I think it cost me 80 once, (Actually cost someone else) but that was the minimum repair charge at the dealer who did the job, Only thing they do under 80 bucks is oil changes.

I'd just cut away

Back
Top Bottom