Flat towing 1997 jeep Cherokee 4x4 or 2002 explorer 4x4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamcarmoto

(New here) I have a 1997 jeep Cherokee 4x4 (auto trans) I can pick up in amazing shape. can I flat tow this vehicle 4 down? I currently have a 2002 Ford Explorer I wanted to tow, but trying to find someone to flash the computer to work with a tow kit/light has proven impossible so far in Sacramento ca. anyone know anyone that can help. it would be easier to keep the Explorer for flat towing if possible. Thank you in advance.

welcome.

Yes on the 4X4 Jeep. It has a transfer case. Read the manual for the procedure.

Sorry I cannot help you with the Explorer. I would think that you could install the wiring kit to bypass the computer. The light functions do not require the Explorer to be turned on as they are powered by the tow vehicle.

We flat-towed our '96 Grand Cherokee for many miles without incident. Then one day about 30 miles from hook-up, I noticed a hot oil smell. The transfer case was boiling over! When I re-checked the transfer case lever it was in neutral and the car would not move when I shifted the automatic tranny into gear.
I disconnected the car and drove it around the area without incident. Then tried 4WD, which also worked normally.
Turned out, when the mechanic was replacing the transfer case, he discovered worn shift linkage on the transfer case. New case and rebuilding the linkage solved the problem; until a HDT rear-ended DW in the Jeep and totaled the car by shoving the fuel tank under the back seat.
Bottom line_ I think you'll be satisfied with that '97 Jeep IF it has a transfer case shifter in good condition.

Your 2002 Ford Explorer requires a "neutral tow kit". If you have the owners manual, look under recreational towing section,pg 223 for details.
Bill is right, no computer flash required if the lighting installer really knows their trade.

While not on the point of towing, I knew multiple people that owned Jeep Cherokees from that vintage including my brother in law, all of them complained about reliability / repair problems and were glad to get rid of them, and that was when they were only 5-10 years old.

A pre-2014 Honda CRV was our first choice. Towed one for many years.

Now we tow a 2014 Ford Edge. Much nicer and heavier car. it has a 3.5L V6 that produces 285hp and gets better fuel mileage than the Honda ever did. There is also a 3.7L 305hp sport model but I don't know if it's towable.

Explorers are heavier yet. Almost as heavy as an F150.

(New here) I have a 1997 jeep Cherokee 4x4 (auto trans) I can pick up in amazing shape. can I flat tow this vehicle 4 down? I currently have a 2002 Ford Explorer I wanted to tow, but trying to find someone to flash the computer to work with a tow kit/light has proven impossible so far in Sacramento ca. anyone know anyone that can help. it would be easier to keep the Explorer for flat towing if possible. Thank you in advance.

As someone said: Read the fine manual.... Jeeps come in basically 3 types for this discussion.
Many have fully manual transfer cases and can be towed (Transfer case in neutral) 4 Down... NOTE you should test to make sure it's in neutral before towing ...

Some manual cases they do not recommend towing
My Cherokee has "All Wheel Drive" There is no neutral it's all controlled by a computer and I have multiple profile settings
20/80 (Front rear) 50/50 and 50/50 but no low gear (Normal/automatic, Sand and Snow respectfully)
Under "Recreational towing" it says DO NOT.. This one can not be towed 4 down.

While not on the point of towing, I knew multiple people that owned Jeep Cherokees from that vintage including my brother in law, all of them complained about reliability / repair problems and were glad to get rid of them, and that was when they were only 5-10 years old.
And then there are units like the one my son had that had 387,000 miles on it when a tree finally fell on it and put it out of its misery. Kid had been using it to haul firewood out of the woods for a couple of years and pretty much tore the whole interior out of it.
My wife had a '95 2wd Cherokee that had over 220,000 on it when she traded it for a Subaru. It ran fine, just the 2wd made it useless in really bad weather.

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition 4x4 (Quadra-trac) 5.2LTR V8. Bought in 1998 as 2nd owner from Blue Ridge Auto Auction in GA. I've been towing it 4 down since 2006 when I installed a used Stowmaster 5000 (rated for 6000lbs... it's an old one). Prior to that, the Jeep was used as a daily driver and towed an Apache Roamer Solid State Pop-up. Currently has 300,176 miles on the original motor. I put the transfer case in neutral to tow.

Back
Top Bottom