Flat towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rickwcarr

I am considering purchasing a 2021 GMC 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive pick up. Pretty sure being a 4 wheel drive you can switch transfer case to neutral for flat towing, but just want to make sure before I purchase. Can you flat tow this truck, or does anyone have this year 4 wheel drive GMC that they flat tow. If so how much trouble is it?
Thanks,

Not all 4WD's can be flat towed.
I got a bit of a surprise with my new used jeep
It's full time 4WD.. all automatic with multiple 4WD personalities.
BUT it's possible to put the transfer case in Neutral and 4 down it (per manual)
Not that I'm going to do that since the motor home was totaled (How I afforded a new used jeep)

I am almost certain you can, although I don't see info on the interwebs for 2021 easily (2020 was a yes). Because this is very important, I would find a GMC forum or online manual and verify, unless someone posts a confirming link.

You need to be specific about the GMC model when asking this. Both the Sierra and the Canyon come in half-ton class models and 4WD. Up thru 2020, both the Chevy & GMC 4WD trucks have a neutral-equipped 4WD transfer case and are flat-towable. Verify that for whatever 2021 model you like by checking the owner manual under Dinghy towing or recreational towing, but I'm confident the 2021 4WD models are towable.

I am almost certain you can, although I don't see info on the interwebs for 2021 easily (2020 was a yes). Because this is very important, I would find a GMC forum or online manual and verify, unless someone posts a confirming link.
Dealership could enlighten you on weather GM says that you can flat tow under factory warranty it’s just that simple. If GM says warranty will be voided it most likely won’t work.

There used to be switchable Locking Hubs that could be set to let the wheels spin.
A friend of mine had those on his Chevy 4x4 so he could tow it.
I don't know if they are still available.

Last edited:
Last I checked you can still go to Remco Towing's web site and enter the year make and model, engine and tranny info, and they tell you what you need to do for MOST GM models.

if a 4x4 it is a maybe, it must have a 2 speed transfer case.

On my 2021 Tahoe 5.3L,

I start motor put transmission in N push 2 up arrow 5 times in less than 10 sec. 2 wheel light will flash until steady N lights up. then try R and D if no movement put into P and turn motor off leave in accessory and disconnect Battery.

Dealership could enlighten you on weather GM says that you can flat tow under factory warranty it’s just that simple. If GM says warranty will be voided it most likely won’t work.
Question on this too - we have a 2005 GMC Sierra that can be flat towed and I've reviewed everything in the manual...but still have a few questions if anyone can help!
  1. When the manual says to leave the ignition "unlocked", does that mean in accessory mode (the middle one)?
  2. I know that the transfer case is in NEUTRAL, but what do I put the transmission in - NEUTRAL or PARK?
  3. Is there a maximum speed one can drive when towing this? I know on my Ford Flex it was 65 mph?
Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom