Fleetwood motor homes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kendall

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest, where would the Fleetwood Coronado rate for price? What is the least expensive, and what is the most expensive?

What type of motorhome is a Coronado? Not familiar with that model... We have a 98 Fleetwood American Dream.

Coronado's seem to be a Fleetwood brand made from 1992-1995 in lengths of 27-33 feet and gas-powered (Ford or Chevy chassis).  From the pictures and specs I found on the net, they appear to be nicely equipped and trimmed for that era.  The Coronado was previously known as the Cambria and is no longer in production.

I'm not sure what you are asking when you say "rate for price".  If you want to know the current value of a particular year and model of Coronado, check the NADA RV Price Guide at www.nadaguides.com and also look around the internet for used Coronados for sale.

Actually, I'm curious about the original price. Is this a cheapy or top of the line?
It's 33 feet, has two roof a/c units, a 7 kw generator big awning and 4 leveling jacks. It also has air bags in the suspension.

I understand that the FLAIR and the Hurricane are bottom of the line units and the Pace Arrow is at the top.

kendall said:
Actually, I'm curious about the original price. Is this a cheapy or top of the line?
It's 33 feet, has two roof a/c units, a 7 kw generator big awning and 4 leveling jacks. It also has air bags in the suspension.

Kendall,

My guess is the air bag suspension is only on the front end. If so, that's probably a Chevy P-30 chassis. Not sure where the Coronado lines up in the production line but it's most likely above the Flair. The Pace Arrow was and probably still is the top of the gas lineup.

The man I bought it from said it was the predecessor of the Pace Arrow, and in the same price range, but, we have a saying here in Maine, "You never hear a fish monger calling "Rotten fish".

kendall said:
It does have air bags all around.

Do you know what chassis it is? I wonder if the original owner added the rear air bags or, more likely, there's something out there about which I have not heard. :)

You'll never read a bad review of an RV in any magazine either. ;D

Basically he is correct.

In late 1980s Fleetwood tried a model that was a little higher on the food chain, and called it the Eleganza series in both Pace Arrow and Southwind. It was the same motorhome except the interior was upgraded with things like better fabrics, cabinets and appliances.

This was a successful adventure so they decided to go another step and make it stand alone model, the Cambria. It was a Pace Arrow Chassis but all above was upgraded.

I bought a 1991 Cambria and it was a great machine. I ran it over 9 years and 65000 miles. I got it at a huge markdown to boot as the economy was not good and they could not sell them as planned in the 1990-1 time period.

Then the company that was making Coronado went belly up and Fleetwood acquired them  and they took the interior of the Cambria and put it in the Coronado. Nice cabinets, fabric, appliances, etc .

Another factor was that the Elegaza/Cambria series was a low profile but  the market was rapidly switching to the basement models, with Pace Arrow and Bounders.

Fleetwood was a  good company in this time period and put out lots of good units. Of course, you find individuals that have complaints, but your Coronado is a good machine built by a solid company. I was very pleased with our Cambria. In fact just last year I met a fellow with a Cambria one serial number from mine, he was the orginal owner and it was still running strong. He had been to Alaska in it three times and had over 135000 miles on engine and transmission without any major problems.

That is a little  history.

Bob

So, it sounds like my rig is near the top of the quality line. The appointments are excellent quality. I wonder why they changed the name? Maybe they found out that they had named it after a man who exploited the natives on this side of the Atlantic.
By the way, it is a Chevrolet chassis.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the history lesson. I knew there was an Eleganza but didn't know the history of it. I think Winnebago had an Elantra which was somewhat similar. So many motorhomes, so little time. :) A friend of ours in Michigan had a Coronado.

Jim

kendall said:
So, it sounds like my rig is near the top of the quality line. The appointments are excellent quality. I wonder why they changed the name? Maybe they found out that they had named it after a man who exploited the natives on this side of the Atlantic.
By the way, it is a Chevrolet chassis.

My P30 had airbags in the front but none in the rear. I'm guessing a previous owner probably added them. It does sound like your coach is well above the Flair!

Jim Dick said:
My P30 had airbags in the front but none in the rear. I'm guessing a previous owner probably added them.

Jim, FWIW the P30 under our Pace Arrow had front air bags standard.

Tom,

My 93 Pace has them front and rear. Not sure if it came that way though.

Woody

Tom said:
Jim, FWIW the P30 under our Pace Arrow had front air bags standard.

Tom,

Yes, the P30 chassis had  air bags in front. I just never saw any in the rear until the diesel pushers. Obviously I haven't seen all the chassis out there. :)

My airbags leak and I've been wondering how to replace them without taking the front suspension apart. a FRIEND TOLD ME THAT THEY NOW COMPRESS THEM, TWIST THEM UP REAL TIGHT, LUBRICATE THEM AND THEN STUFF THEM UP THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE "a" FRAME. Any thoughts?

Damn capslock.

I think I've heard they do slip them through the hole in the frame. Are you sure it's your air bags that are leaking? It could be one of the air connections to the bags.

Kendall,

Here's a website that covers it pretty well..

http://airlift.r-catalog.com/ImgVD/AIL/MN-360.pdf

Howard

kendall said:
My airbags leak and I've been wondering how to replace them without taking the front suspension apart. a FRIEND TOLD ME THAT THEY NOW COMPRESS THEM, TWIST THEM UP REAL TIGHT, LUBRICATE THEM AND THEN STUFF THEM UP THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE "a" FRAME. Any thoughts?
Damn capslock.

[edit]URL hyperlink[/edit]

Back
Top Bottom