Fleetwood Terry Taurus Electrical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave.quinn2

I have a 1989 Fleetwood Terry Taurus Model 33A. It never leaves the campground.  Several weeks ago I had a leak in the roof which I repaired. Now all the lights from the bathroom forward do not work. The lights aft of the bathroom do work. I checked all the wiring, changed all the fixtures, changed the electrical breakers. Is it possible that there are to 12V inverters, one fore and one aft? I know there are two furnaces, so I was wondering. Is there any other possible reason why the lights fore are all not working?

My guess the leak corroded the wires at one of the fixtures.  Start at the last working light check for loose or corroded wires and move from there to the next light and repeat.  Typically lights are daisy chained from the fuse panel out, so you only need to start at the last working light in the chain.

The lighting is all 12v, so circuit breakers are probably not involved. 12v circuits mostly use fuses rather than breakers. It is quite likely there are only two main lighting circuits and you have blown the fuse or have a broken connection on one of them. You probably just haven't found it yet.  Some time spent with a voltmeter should allow you to trace the circuit to the point where power is lost.

It is extremely unlikely you have two 12v power sources (converters, not inverters).

I just got done tearing out all the roofing and side panels in our '83 Terry, not sure how you are going to get at the wiring without tearing out some part of a panel. :-\

Toaster said:
I just got done tearing out all the roofing and side panels in our '83 Terry, not sure how you are going to get at the wiring without tearing out some part of a panel. :-\

Typically wiring issues are at connection points that are accessible at fixture locations or fuse boxes. Thankfully, they are rarely in the middle of a run that is hidden behind walls or ceilings. I agree with the others that most likely, it's either a blown fuse (don't just look at it, but check it with an ohm meter) or a bad or corroded connection at the first fixture in the series.

I have a 1978 terry taurus setting up as a full time structure. I have sone wires at the front that i wanted to insured tthat I'm grounded properly can someone please help

Attachments

• 16211159197685261694040604435596.jpg
    16211159197685261694040604435596.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 8
The 120v power panel in the trailer is considered a "subpanel" in electrical parlance and subpanels are grounded by the wiring that connects it to the main panel on the property. Some state or local codes will also require a ground rod if the subpanel is in a separate building, but as far as I know no RV is ever considered a "building". Even if it never moves. But that's totally up to your local electrical inspector.

Since the 120vac power in the trailer is (or should be) grounded to the trailer frame, it won't hurt to add a ground rod wired to the trailer frame, but there must also be a ground wire going back to the same source as the hot & neutral wires.

I have a 1978 terry taurus setting up as a full time structure.
The wires in that picture look to be for part of the 12v-dc electrical system and not your 120V-ac that is supplied from the power pedestal. As I look at the box device shown, I see 2 wires into one end and the other has what looks like it might be a cable, and if it is the box could be a brake-away switch to apply the trailer's electric brakes in the event that it comes unhooked while traveling. Some closer pictures that show more detail could help. Have you traced those wires back to see where the other ends are located or what they are attached to?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom