Floor vent question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namumac1

I have a Cameo 5th wheel. On the floor in the rear under the big window there are 2 vents. They go directly to the storage below.
When the weather is cold there is a good amount tof cold air coming through them. Why are they there? No other compartments are vented. What would happen if they were blocked off?

Those are probably heat ducts. Turn on your furnace for a few minutes and see if warm air comes out of them.
Is there any duct work going to them inside that compartment. On mine, I have duct work in the shape of a rectangle box between some of the floor framing.

Namumac,

Our Cameo has the same mystery vents.  They're not attached to any heat ducts, they simply ventilate the rear basement area.

This year I cut plugs out of scrap 1" foil-faced insulation and inserted the plugs into the "registers" from below.  They kept the cold air in the basement and didn't allow it to enter the living area.

Stay warm.  PM sent.

Rene T said:
Those are probably heat ducts. Turn on your furnace for a few minutes and see if warm air comes out of them.
Is there any duct work going to them inside that compartment. On mine, I have duct work in the shape of a rectangle box between some of the floor framing.

They are open to the storage area and not heat ducts. Why are they there

they are probably there to stop anything in that storage area from freezing ie water pipes etc or even just stuff that you store that may not like the cold maybe there are tanks ajoining that storage area?

I'm wondering if the basements have heat vents that blow in and these vents are to allow circulation back to the heat return.

I have heard of heated basements and always wondered where does the cold air go...The basement doors are sealed to keep out the rain.

Why are they there
I never saw that before.

Yep, it's a mystery and as the Carriage engineers aren't there to ask anymore, it's one may remain unanswered for my lifetime. 

Plugging them up worked for us for the winter.  They may stay that way too.

steveblonde said:
they are probably there to stop anything in that storage area from freezing ie water pipes etc or even just stuff that you store that may not like the cold maybe there are tanks ajoining that storage area?

No plumbing or tanks, doesn't appear anything else that requires these vents.

Simply to provide some heat to the basement storage areas.  You can cover them if there is nothing down there that might get freeze damaged, or the weather is cold but not freezing.  One of my motorhomes and onj of my 5W trailers had similar vents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom