Flooring in my 2008 Coachmen Freelander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cupping is do to moisture In the air. I’m talking about real wood. There are so many kinds and price points of this trendy vinyl stuff, who knows what it will do. Engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive does nothing but sit there and look good. But “everyone ’‘ is using vinyl planks- so it must be
‘good’

I was listening to a radio show about home remodeling. A caller called to ask why her newly installed floor was "cupping and bowing". The answer was that the installer did not leave an "expansion gap" at the edges. I learned something that day. It makes sense that material expand and contract with humidity and temperature. In a home the gap is finished with skirting so not visible.

So, consider that when redoing your floor.

What say you Ernie?

Cupping is do to moisture In the air. I’m talking about real wood. There are so many kinds and price points of this trendy vinyl stuff, who knows what it will do. Engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive does nothing but sit there and look good. But “everyone ’‘ is using vinyl planks- so it must be
‘good’

I defer to Ernie but would say to follow carefully what the manufacturer wants. I did 750square feet of tongue and groove when I finished my basement. For coverage on cement they wanted "their" plastic vapor barrier, then "their" foamy type roll and finally the tiles with a very specific edge gap. It also was not glued down. With expansion and contraction it was basically a floating floor.

The base moldings covered these gaps. In Southern Ohio with the house empty it could be 20*F in the winter and 90*F in the summer with the house empty and the HVAC off.

I plan to retile the RV in a similar fashion after the floor repairs.

Engineered wood

Attachments

• CA073437-A83A-4EAF-860D-D70A87093831.jpeg
    CA073437-A83A-4EAF-860D-D70A87093831.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back