Flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Analicantu

Hi, new to the bus conversion community ! My husband and I were recently given a 96 gillig transit bus and are still in the gutting process. My husband mentioned leaving the original blue flooring and just building a sub floor over that... is this a good idea ? Or would it be best to just rip the whole floor out and repatch it?

In most vehicles the flooring is part of the structural integrity. Removing it could make it unsafe to drive. Why remove it?

I don't mean removing the structure or the flooring entirely, just the blue rubber bottom and non skid tracks covering the structure and wood

That flooring under the seats, my husband is talking about just insulating and building structure kn top

Attachments

• 20210515_113809.jpg
    20210515_113809.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 16
I don't see any problem with that, as long as the existing material is in decent condition and not loose from whatever is underneath. I have no idea how the transit body was made and attached to the Gillig, but I would guess it's a metal floor pan with some sort of durable vinyl floor covering.

If it was me, I think I would remove all of it but that could be a major project and maybe not worth it. Do you know if it’s wood or metal under there? If it’s wood, you could just put a thing layer of Luan and screw it down.

Do you realize how much money it will cost to convert it into an RV? For that amount of money you could buy a great RV that actually runs and is useful. And many RV parks will not allow bus conversions. Best of luck.

I would be more concerned about storage ability,, Transit types have very little space under the floor for adding storage.>>>Dan

It's wood underneath . I think we decided to take out the flooring because it's already coming up in some places .

We know it's a big and expensive project! This bus does actually run, my husband's boss has used it the last 8 years for field trips for his children's private school. Hood to know about rv parks though...

And we only plan on having one sink and will put fresh and grey water tanks under the counter space. Unfortunately with transit busses you can't really put anything underneath 😕

Hi, new to the bus conversion community ! My husband and I were recently given a 96 gillig transit bus and are still in the gutting process. My husband mentioned leaving the original blue flooring and just building a sub floor over that... is this a good idea ? Or would it be best to just rip the whole floor out and repatch it?
Aren't transit buses, with some exceptions, geared for city use and not highway use?

Back
Top Bottom