Floorplans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonWin

Researching a first purchase. Recognizing that I'll make mistakes I still want to do it as well as possible. Anybody know if there is a place or where I can go to find floorplan diagrams for anything other than current models?

Thanks.

Most of the companies have the floor plans listed on their internet sites.  Just google the brand name you might be interested in or google Motor homes to get the brands and go from there. 

I don't know about older model floor plans, but get an idea of what you would basically like to live in.  Go to used RV places and look in ALL of them to get the feel.  You will notice small and large differences, but they are basically all the same.  The idea is to look for what you can live with, much like buying a house and getting a feel for it's layout.  I like a lot of kitchen space, since we mostly eat-in.  We have 8 foot of counter space including stove and sink.  Ours is a 9 year old Newmar Dutch Star.  I have not seen ANY new coaches in the last 5 years with that much.  They are mostly 6 to 4 foot in length.  Every thing is going into the bedroom which is not very important to us.  It was the kitchen space that sold me, since we were then going full time.  It was the diesel that sold my husband.  But I gotta tell you, that walking in and standing on that first step and looking around, that coach just sucked me right in like a vacuum would.  I had no power to hold back. 

You will know as soon as you see it, which floorplan you will like best.  It will just suck you in  :D  You just have to look at them all to see which one feels right to you.

Thanks for your help.

We've got an idea of what we'd like and plenty of counter space for a working kitchen is one of the most important criteria. We're thinking about full-timimg it so we think we will need about 36 to 40 feet and probably a diesel pusher. Our wish list in approximate descending order of importance after that would include features like a enclosed head separate from the shower and sink, a bedroom with windows (tv not necessary), provisions for a washer/dryer, a main TV (or couch) location that doesn't require twisting sideways. We believe we would prefer a center entry, mainly because we would like to have something other than carpet from the main door to the kitchen and head. We'd prefer fixed furniture with storage rather than loose chairs. We don't think we need a great deal of space so we have little need for slideouts unless they have a positive effect on the primary items we have listed. Other than that, the rest is pretty much negotiable.

However, we have looked through many machines and come up with very little that does most of the above in one package so we are trying to find some way to narrow our search to specific models on which we should focus.

DonWin:

If your thinking of full-timing, consider at least one slide in the living area.  You can't believe how much more pleasant that extra space is going to be when living in it full-time.  We had a gas 34' Fleetwood Bounder. and although we really loved that coach, there were several annoyances that irritated both of us. 

One for me was getting pushed into the sink when doing dishes by Fred so he could get by me.  One for him was having to move his feet off the sofa every time I needed to get by him. 

We upgraded to a 38 ft diesel, with a the slide and extra living room space, we're able to put in a recliner for him, and I have much more room around the sink, so that neither of us is "inconvenienced". 

It is "little irritations" like that, that can make the whole experience unpleasant at times, when just a few extra feet would cure it all.

If you don't like carpeting, have it taken out and put in either tile (ugh! not my choice) or laminate or a good grade of linolium.  Lots of choices.  Those can be softened with throw rugs, runners or what ever.  But those will move in traveling down the road and could also become annoying.

Just some of my thoughts from our full-timing living experiences.  Good luck in looking.  But as you are aware, you will probably not find exactly what your would like to have.  Just pick one that you feel you can most comfortably live in and put up with the little things that really may not matter much to you.  The perfect coach does not exist for most people, because there is always something that you wish you would have had that you didn't think of to begin with.  I have found that no matter what choices we've made, either with a house or a motorhome, there has always been something we would have like to have had, but didn't, but after a while it really didn't matter, because we got used to it just the way it was.

Have fun in your search!!  :)

Daisy

Daisy,

Thanks for the encouragement and information. We are trying to prioritize so that we can make it a successful transition and do appreciate your input.

Thanks.

DonWin,

I'm with Daisy - gotta have a good kitchen counter and room to store all the necessities!

Also, I got tired of cleaning carpet all the time in our previous motorhomes so this time we have a front entry with tile all the way back to the bedroom.  Everytime a bit of grease, tar, or whatever gets on the tile I feel very smug because it wipes right up.  We love the tile.  There is one recommendation, however.  Because of a production error we have the 1/4-inch grout.  We had specified very narrow grout which we prefer.  We mutually agreed not to re-do the tile (the cabinets were already installed) and they, in turn, agreed to do a super-duper grout sealing.  We've dropped or splashed some pretty messy stuff that has cleaned up beautifully.  I have a small oriental carpet in the lounge and two plain ones that match in the kitchen.  Someone told me if we get tile to be sure to have some type of rug in front of the refrigerator because something falling out might crack a tile.  I didn't want to take a chance on that happening so have one rug in front of the fridge and another to stand on in front of the sink.  The three rugs look nice and provide some color.

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom