Florida, nice to see a sense of normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well aware Dutch , I am out every day working when back home.
Coumo we'll see ,espacially with what he is saying now.

Anyway it has been a nice 3 weeks in Florida.

Presumably you're aware that all or most of NY bars and restaurants are able to open, albeit with capacity and distancing restrictions. As far as Gov. Cuomo, don't expect too much to happen. The couple of dozen accusations against the ex-president didn't go anywhere...
In all fairness, before there was a vaccine or the consideration that there would be one in such fast speed, people across a broad section of the country went inside to the essential businesses such big box stores, liquor stores, dog grooming operations and every grocery chain I know of with little hesitation and little hysterics at others more level headed using common sense guidelines . The truck drivers were amazing folks working under extreme pressures of the limited rest services in this country in particular. Kudos to them,,

We did get numerous mix messages that was at odds one week from another from the CDC . But I will leave it at there. The purpose of this thread was that it was nice to go about life with some normalcy . Now back to reality and planning my trip out west with a bit more seriousness , If you want full hook up sites this year, from the look of the numbers you better book.

Normalcy will only be achieved if everybody does the right thing. Last year South Dakota left it up to the masses as to whether Sturgis would have their famous MC rally. They had it and hundreds of thousands attended massless, shoulder to shoulder. A study conducted by I think SF State University concluded that the Sturgis Rally cost billions of dollars in medical care due to infections. Last week CPAC had their annual convention in Orlando where thousands of people gathered maskless with no social distancing. They were asked to wear a mask but instead booed the asker. Until we can come to terms with this behavior it will be one step forward and two steps back.

I read a few days ago COVID-19 is #3 on the hit parade. heart disease and I forget the other are 1 and 2 (Cancer perhaps all forms) I might add both heart disease and cancer are classifications many different forms of both.
Yeap, Heart disease (659,041) is #1 in 2019, then Cancer-all types(599,601). When the 2020 statistics are compiled, Covid-19 will no doubt be #3, with somewhere around 400,000 deaths in 2020. It's also true that total deaths from all causes in 2020 are up by about 400,000. Hmmm, wonder if there is any correlation there?

Normalcy will only be achieved if everybody does the right thing.
The goal post has been moved several times in just the area of masks, dating back to Jan. 2020 by the CDC. Currently they used the variant virus as an excuse in one of the most recent to move the post further to justify lockdowns. Look at what has happened with the public teachers unions as the numerous private schools are still operating. The CDC said that it was okay to open schools.

cdc says to reopen schools - Bing
  1. WASHINGTON – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says public schools can safely reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic if a host of safety measures are taken, including maintaining 6 feet of physical distancing inside school buildings where possible.

There has been numerous alterations to the buildings as directed. There is actually unspent money from the last approval for the public schools. So what do people have to do to be considered doing the right thing? This changes every day and apparently changes with everyone's opinion. Florida businesses has done a ton of work to abide by the national guidlines while trying to carry one. People continue to come to the state and thousands are moving to the state every day.

Of course I personally would like to know how many people die from issues relating to alcohol too. I bet those numbers can be manipulated depending on the side of the issue you are on too. I know folks that ignore the calls to cut down on drinking. But I still sit next to them and don't shame them when we are together.

Last edited:
jayflight I appreciate your post about some kind of normalcy. For my mental health it has been good to see that happening. Mine was going to a restaurant celebrate DIL's birthday. We have a big family and have missed alot of celebrations this past year. Thanks for sharing.

jayflight I appreciate your post about some kind of normalcy. For my mental health it has been good to see that happening. Mine was going to a restaurant celebrate DIL's birthday. We have a big family and have missed alot of celebrations this past year. Thanks for sharing.
We have been back to open restaurants and bars for some time now as most country has. There are a few restaurants we go to here in Dover and all of them enforce the mask and social distancing mandates. I’m sorry you missed some celebrations las year but don’t you think that was a small price to pay to be safe. How would you feel if you did not follow protocols and spread the virus throughout your family.

The goal post has been moved several times in just the area of masks, dating back to Jan. 2020 by the CDC. Currently they used the variant virus as an excuse in one of the most recent to move the post further to justify lockdowns. Look at what has happened with the public teachers unions as the numerous private schools are still operating. The CDC said that it was okay to open schools.

There has been numerous alterations to the buildings as directed. There is actually unspent money from the last approval for the public schools. So what do people have to do to be considered doing the right thing? This changes every day and apparently changes with everyone's opinion. Florida businesses has done a ton of work to abide by the national guidlines while trying to carry one. People continue to come to the state and thousands are moving to the state every day.

Of course I personally would like to know how many people die from issues relating to alcohol too. I bet those numbers can be manipulated depending on the side of the issue you are on too. I know folks that ignore the calls to cut down on drinking. But I still sit next to them and don't shame them when we are together.
A lot to unpack here. As with everything else related to science, things change. As scientists learn more, as with Covid, how to deal with it changes. Too many want to use that change as an excuse to not believe the science (CDC, NIH, etc).
Declaring “whataboutism” is not helpful. Alcoholism is not a disease you can catch from someone sitting next to you. The only danger you may face from sitting next to an alcoholic is they may puke on you. Sitting too close to someone that refuses to wear a mask may end up killing you and those that you love.

Sacrifice - My dad enlisted in 1941, went to war in 1943. Came home in 1946...

No internet, no zoom calls. A a six month old V-Post probably got him from Buna to Rabaul - His army record shows him at 6'1" and 135 pounds at discharge. Probably didn't eat out much in the jungles of New Guinea - Don't know why he didn't order up some Dominoes from door dash - LOL...

Yeah - we struggled...

Declaring “whataboutism” is not helpful.
Actually the whataboutism as it relates to schools makes my point. What is NORMAL when the exceptions are glaring the world in its eyes. Of course the accepted exceptions as it relates to the example of schools not reopening is perfectly fine and was ignored. But you appear to be at odds with the gathering of small amounts of people, certainly less than a teachers meeting, yammering on about poor cell service, brands of rv tires and some stories about getting false teeth while living on the road full time. . [well not really]

LOL, EX Calif

As you know I am in the UK. We have high numbers too.

Recently I was getting my annual blood check done, 1 year late due to Covid. I asked if there had been many deaths in the surgery's populous from the virus. I was told 9 registered. 5 from a local care home, so all elderly with underlying issues. 1 in the waiting area of the surgery who they attempted to revive but unfortunately failed. 1 lady who fell down her stairs at home then died in the hospital. Both of these people tested positive but likely died from heart issues (which may have been exacerbated by the virus). And another 2.

Apparently in our county of 372,000, 310 people have died, 5 of those had COVID only on the death certificate...

I do believe it is a serious illness, like many others and we need to be extremely careful and follow protocols.

Have we over reacted or not no doubt time will tell.

One thing is for sure, it is not easy to contain and economies are certainly being hit.

Last edited:
We have been back to open restaurants and bars for some time now as most country has. There are a few restaurants we go to here in Dover and all of them enforce the mask and social distancing mandates. I’m sorry you missed some celebrations las year but don’t you think that was a small price to pay to be safe. How would you feel if you did not follow protocols and spread the virus throughout your family.
Our county has moved to a less restrictive level & we go only to a couple that we feel safe that they are following the mandates. One time we tried to squeeze just 1 more person in, and they said no it was over their number allowed. Our son has a degree in microbiology, DIL is an RN at local hospital, and daughter living with us has 2 health issues. We would have followed protocols anyway, but they certainly kept an eye on us! I did keep telling myself that it was a small price to pay to be able to have holidays in the future, but it was hard. We were directly exposed last June, and I have to say, for me , those 14 days of not knowing if we or any of the family that was with us were going to get sick, was by far more stressful than the rest of this time has been. None of us did. I would feel beyond awful if I spread it to anyone. I did get my 2nd vaccine Friday, DH should get his soon and daughter is in the next group. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom