Florida, nice to see a sense of normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayflight

We have seen small kids just able to walk and other kids under six actually playing on playgrounds . Bunches of old foggies were sitting around a campfire playing music on string instruments in close quarters, and even making s'mores on the fire. And yes they were sharing the extended forks tipped with marshmallows.

When you let fear control you, you are already dead. There are plenty of precautions being incorporated into everyday life in Florida for those that interact with the general population. 85 and sunny, by the way

Well there are several things. FL did get "priority" for vaccinations at the start for political reasons and the Governor and state government preach a lot of the wrong stuff.

At this time.. Unless everyone in the group has been vaccinated. It is still too soon for much of the stuff cited in the "Back to normal" post.

I got my 2nd shot this week. and delayed a delayable medical procedure till a week from Monday... I should be safe by then (That was only a short delay).

Well there are several things. FL did get "priority" for vaccinations at the start for political reasons and the Governor and state government preach a lot of the wrong stuff.
Yeah he should be like my governor Coumo he knows everything.

Enjoying the Florida sun the last 2 weeks

At this time.. Unless everyone in the group has been vaccinated. It is still too soon for much of the stuff cited in the "Back to normal" post.

I got my 2nd shot this week. and delayed a delayable medical procedure till a week from Monday... I should be safe by then (That was only a short delay).
Just between you and me the two main states that witnessed some of worse numbers of cases and deaths had and still have the harshest restrictions and lock downs. They also got the two mercy ships , one pulled out of the shipyard early to take in patients. I can guarantee you favorable politics was not in play.

But I did not ask the old goats about any shots or super human resistance, one a three war veteran. I just report,,you decide.

Last edited:
Jay you have half the story on those ships. I have the other half. And there are other factors that you may well not be aware of.... But I've been paying attention all along and drinking coffee which enhances memory. can't stand memory destroying booze.

Isnā€™t Florida one of the states that produces many of the super spreader events? Folks are going to do whatever they want to no matter what the experts say. All we can do as individuals is do what we think is right for us and for those around us.

This discussion took a predictable course. There are basically three camps:
  1. Stop any & all activities that might in any way expose anyone to Coronavirus. Failure to do so is insane.
  2. Take precautions (masks, distancing, etc) where practical but try to maintain some semblance of normal life. To be worth living, life has to be more than hunkering down in fear.
  3. Just go about life normally and trust that the odds are with you, i.e. the chances of actually getting infected and having serious complications are quite low. Whatever will be, will be.
At the state level, Florida tried #1 and suffered greatly, both from continued infections & death and social & economic impact. The state moved on toward #2 and infection rates went down, then up, then down again, for all sorts of reasons (both real & imagined). Now trending toward #3, perhaps in hope that vaccination will be enough to minimize damage.

500k+ deaths in the USA, a horrendous number. But another way to express that number is that only 0.15% of the US population has died from Covid, and that doesn't sound anywhere near as terrible.

Last edited:
If the amount of folks traveling with all types of rvs on the interstates are any indication, this summer is going to be tough for hook up locations. Even the primitive areas were loaded with fancy motor homes. Florida will sink if many more find their way to the area this year.

Well I am going to enjoy my last few days in Florida.
The lock down crap in NY doesn't bother me I don't eat out or go to bars , but it is really hurting average people.
There may be hope for us now that we may be able to get rid of Coumo,maybe people are waking up.

500k+ deaths in the USA, a horrendous number. But another way to express that number is that only 0.15% of the US population has died from Covid, and that doesn't sound anywhere near as terrible.
Good point, And I heard someone say this week that the Flu was eliminated this past winter. I haven't looked for the numbers. But in my circle of friends I have not hear much talk of it.

I saw the Flu report - "virtually eliminated" was the phrase it used. Confirmed flu diagnoses are so few that the statistical models used by the CDC to estimate nationwide flu infections are invalid. Of course, flu virus is similar to corona-type viruses, so the same measures that reduce Covid19 also prevent flu. Plus some of the people who would have gotten flu got Covid19 instead. The population most susceptible to Covid hospitalization or death are also those most susceptible to flu.

I guess "Every cloud has a silver lining" applies here.

I saw the Flu report - "virtually eliminated" was the phrase it used. Confirmed flu diagnoses are so few that the statistical models used by the CDC to estimate nationwide flu infections are invalid. Of course, flu virus is similar to corona-type viruses, so the same measures that reduce Covid19 also prevent flu. Plus some of the people who would have gotten flu got Covid19 instead. The population most susceptible to Covid hospitalization or death are also those most susceptible to flu.

I guess "Every cloud has a silver lining" applies here.
Considering the number of misdiagnoses and the number of false positives on Covid tests, it is also possible that cases of the regular flu are being diagnosed as Covid.

Probably too late to "depoliticize" the discussion. But I am a stats guy. Nationally we did the worst on a per capita basis. Not arguable or debatable.

You also can't say the "guidance" didn't work if 50% of the population ignored the guidance.

Americans are clearly gonna manage things individually regardless of science.

It's all theoretical until you or a loved one gets it and dies. Then it's too late.

I'll share a s'more after I get the jab(s).. In the meantime please don't come near me at the RV park.

Unfortunately, as I expected, as the numbers got bigger we became insensitive to the number. 10X more than died in Vietnam and there are still raging debates about that conflict and the tragic loss of life. Imagine if someone said, "50k plus deaths in SEA is no big deal.."

I read a few days ago COVID-19 is #3 on the hit parade. heart disease and I forget the other are 1 and 2 (Cancer perhaps all forms) I might add both heart disease and cancer are classifications many different forms of both.

What's important is the death rate in the US per million people v/s the world wide rate.. WAY WAY WAY higher.. And why is that? Please do not attempt to answer that here. I won't give you my theory and you won't change my mind.

But that's what you need to think about. .

Another thing is the number of people refusing the vaccine.. i'm not among them in fact I got my 2nd shot last Thrsday at 2:30 PM

Well I am going to enjoy my last few days in Florida.
The lock down crap in NY doesn't bother me I don't eat out or go to bars , but it is really hurting average people.
There may be hope for us now that we may be able to get rid of Coumo,maybe people are waking up.
Presumably you're aware that all or most of NY bars and restaurants are able to open, albeit with capacity and distancing restrictions. As far as Gov. Cuomo, don't expect too much to happen. The couple of dozen accusations against the ex-president didn't go anywhere...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom