Florida RV iing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rairie

We will be in RV near Orange City, FL for 5 months.? This is our first winter and we are wondering about insects and other pest prevention.? Any suggestions on our first winter south would be welcome.? TIA

rairie

rairie said:
We will be in RV near Orange City, FL for 5 months.? This is our first winter and we are wondering about insects and other pest prevention.? Any suggestions on our first winter south would be welcome.? TIA

rairie

Two words -- Screen Room.  At the very least, get a screen room for your awning. 

Depending on whether your RV park sprays for mosquitoes and whether you are parked on sand or concrete your strategies may be different.

Get some ant traps at Lowes or Home Depot and install them near the entry door, near the toilet and under the sink.  Maybe in a few compartments where food is stored or hose or electric pass through to outside.

Get some DEET repellent as well as some good sun block and keep your windows and entry door closed at night or when the indoor lights are on.  Florida insects are tiny and get through screens when the lights are on.

If you are near water or swamp land, watch out for snakes and keep a bottle of household ammonia handy in case you step on a hill of fire ants.  Fire ants can climb your legs very fast and can cause very painful welts, so by applying ammonia to the affected area you can minimize the discomfort.

What type of RV are you using?

Hi Rairie,

Steve's suggestion about fire ants is good. If you see a small "hill" of sand do not step on it!!!! As he mentioned, the fire ants will immediately start to crawl up your legs and they really hurt. If you do get bit, try some under arm deodorant. I have been told it works well. Mosquitos are a problem if you're near wetlands. You may run into the infamous "love bugs". If you do, remove them from your vehicle as soon as possible. They are so acidic they eat through the paint. They don't bite but are a pain. Fortunately they only last about a month. The insects can be bothersome in some areas but I don't find them much worse than NE in the summer. Carl has a good point about a screen room but I don't think I'd attach it to the big awning. If a heavy wind comes up you won't be able to roll up the awning. Not sure if the campground would allow a free standing screen room. It, too, could be damaged by wind but it wouldn't ruin the awning which might be more expensive.

Do not feed the alligators!! Normally alligators don't bother people but, once fed, they can become aggressive looking for the next handout. You will find them in any body of water.

Jim Dick said:
Normally alligators don't bother people but, once fed, they can become aggressive looking for the next handout.

You didn't tell me that when you suggested I feed your pet alligator in your back yard at TGO  :(

Orange City can be pretty cool from Nov-Mar so bugs are not that big a problem. Ants are always around. Best bet is to sprinkle some diatomaceous earth or borax around wheels, jackstands, etc. Orange City has gotten pretty populated in recent years so the critters have moved out into the county.  ;)

Thank you for the suggestions I will be doing all, but the screen tent...we put one up once and never again...they are a nightmare!  We have a 1999 Itasca Sunflyer we purchased new.  We  keep thinking of a new maybe diesel but not yet.

rairie said:
Thank you for the suggestions I will be doing all, but the screen tent...we put one up once and never again...they are a nightmare! 

Usually when I here a customer talking about a screen room for the awning I try to tell them it probably won't be used more than once.

Back
Top Bottom