Florida State Parks new reservation rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well gang - not everything you read is aimed at you.

Florida residents already live here and want a chance to have a weekend or vacation getaway that will likely be for a short time - not a 5-6 month contiguous snowbird camping experience.

I've seldom met anyone from Florida that "moves in" for months blocking others from enjoying our parks.

If one of those shorter-term residents are in a site in the middle or a snowbird's planned five month homesteading monopoly adventure then the out-of-staters may have to move to another site to achieve the months long exile from their real home - just as we often have to do when we travel the USA.

If anyone thinks they are a target that's unfortunate.

And yes, we do like tourists and bring more money - and BTW, if you don't live here, please don't let the politics ruffle your feathers you can return to your normal when you get back home with a lovely tan.
We're talking the state parks here, not the private campgrounds that accept seasonal reservation. State park stays are only for 14 days, although you can come back after a few days out. The 30 day advance window is a rolling window that always gives Florida residents a 30 day preference, leaving out of staters to pick up whatever is left, assuming anything is. I would have much preferred to see an extra charge for out of staters such as NY and others do to limit out of state occupancy.

Florida doesn't need to cater to out-of-staters. The sun and sand is all they'll ever need to draw people.
It's like Arizona not giving senior discounts- why should they?
Florida doesn't either, except for their own residents. Georgia State Parks give me both seniors and veterans discounts along with a 13 month reservation window.

Florida doesn't need to cater to out-of-staters. The sun and sand is all they'll ever need to draw people.
On the other side of the coin the rate of migration to the state is creating some serious challenges for the highway system. They can't build the roads and added lanes fast enough .

So as it relates to the revenue from rvs, the new revenue from the new transplants moving into the condos being built, over 55 communities, and even building in areas that used to be orange groves, not sure if Florida would go broke if there would be a loss of revenue from reduced amounts of winter rv snowbirds anyway. But there are some really nice primitive rv places that's at least preserving old Florida.

Our first winter in S. FL, we were dining with my cousin and her husband. The waitress was very composed and polite when I asked about a senior discount.
She smiled and said, " Sir, look around, everyone is a senior, and gets the same discount". I had trouble wiping the egg off my face.

Hi Ray,

The yolk is on you. :)

I'm Also from Indiana. Will remember that so I don't make that mistake.

So as it relates to the revenue from rvs, the new revenue from the new transplants moving into the condos being built, over 55 communities, and even building in areas that used to be orange groves, not sure if Florida would go broke if there would be a loss of revenue from reduced amounts of winter rv snowbirds anyway.

There are periodically big complaints from other states with the argument, "Hey. These people worked in Ohio for 40 years, drawing money from us. Then they go to Florida, avoid state taxes and "penalize" us because they are not spending their retirement money "at home""

Of course it's a BS argument. There are tons of countries that also try to attract American retirees. Florida ain't dumb. Tourism and retirees are huge income supporting a giant service industry.

And with sales taxes and gas taxes and from my seat higher vehicle registrations etc. Florida makes their income without arbitrary state income tax.

I paid for Ohio infrastructure through state (and local) taxes long after I was a big user of that infrastructure. Ohio can eliminate state taxes if they want and I might consider moving back - OK, no I won't - LOL...

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Florida giving their residents a month's window to book the state park of their choice. I agree with Ex-Calif, what's the big deal? My guess is at times, regardless of the economic boost the state receives from tourism, that Florida residents have had it up to their eyebrows with tourists prancing about like they own the place.

Although WNY is no tourist mecca like Florida it has become very difficult here to book the couple nearby state parks because they are filled with Canadians, (Niagara River separating U.S. and Canada) taking advantage of low prices, and fuel costs less than half what they pay at home. Big deal, we can always find somewhere to go locally if we're looking for a weekend getaway.

Did you read the email? Your friends and family can't do that without breaking the rules.
I read, but probably overlooked that in my reply. Still, no biggie. We seldom, if ever, plan that far ahead, anyway.

I can't remember more than once ever having something that we planned more than two months ahead for actually turning out the way we planned.

I read, but probably overlooked that in my reply. Still, no biggie. We seldom, if ever, plan that far ahead, anyway.

I can't remember more than once ever having something that we planned more than two months ahead for actually turning out the way we planned.
When we were still on the road, we always had our winter reservations in Georgia and Florida in place long before we got there. We didn't want to drive 1500 miles or so without knowing where we would be staying. It was always fun to be planning next winter's Georgia State Park stays before we got there for this winter's stays.

The no income tax policy for any state creates an incentive for the entire state’s population to pay more attention to politicians running for office. Each election if you send the wrong people to an elected office, this could impact your pocket books and even your own security in your own homes.

If we only had such a simple policy on the national level, we would witness an entire different group of people at the highest level. Special interest and lobbyist groups would not exist. Everyone pays and everyone pays attention every two to four years on how our hard dollars are being spent.

When you spread the costs across the board in the area of sales taxes, registration fees, impact fees, real estate taxes and the likes to the entire state’s residents, then there is nothing wrong with showing favor to the state’s residents.

Now before someone chimes in and says that the lower income ends up being more impacted by the across the board taxation on goods and services, well they all receive the same services. But if someone wants to get upset about the booking of an rv site in Florida, well these people are also providing and sharing their space, goods and services with the out of state folks for a short term visit, while paying less when not being registered and living in the state as a Florida resident.

For sure the tourist industry is just another industry in the particular state. But the climate in the winter is the main draw, nothing more or nothing less. And the numbers of folks that comes every winter is not being harmed , if you have driven the roads headed to Florida lately.
One last thing is for many fulltimers that gets upset about the states tax policies, well a lot of folks seek out states with no state income taxes to create their own domicile.

But they rarely if ever spend a measurable amount of money in the state as they enjoy the tax free state havens of their proclaimed state of residence that they do not reside in at all.

Like all statistics they can be argued about but here are some bullet points about Florida Snowbirds which includes RV and non-RV folks.

$95b and 1.6m jobs is probably a decent estimate.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the influx of people during the winter season brings with it jobs and dollars. But the policy giving the fulltime residents of the state a tiny bit advance ability to book an rv site probably only harms out of state folks feelings. The traffic jams are still occurring this time of year.

Having lived in the state full time with an rv, camping away from the water in most any and all campgrounds is a miserable experience in the off season of the migratory birds wearing shorts, black socks and sandals. :p

People from south Florida in particular take their money out of the state and actually return the migratory favor to other northern states in the summertime bringing with it their money and even kids to visit tourist traps catering to rug rats.

This is really spread across a larger portion of the states when school is commonly out, as they fan out to seek refuge from the humidity and rain storms that can last fifteen minutes and then its a sauna bath that summertime brings. If you camp in the middle or northern part of the state in Florida, the snakes are alive and well in the old Florida regions. So there are trade offs.

This is a similar discussion that took place earlier in the year with full-timers who use a So. Dakota address as their domicile not being able to vote in So. Dakota anymore. The state's real residents got fed up with ghost residents potentially having the ability to impact their elections, especially now in the world of mail-in ballots.

But the policy giving the fulltime residents of the state a tiny bit advance ability to book an rv site probably only harms out of state folks feelings. The traffic jams are still occurring this time of year.

Yeah. The whole argument to me is whether there is a shortage of facilities for residents (of any state) and (I believe) if so the residents should get some kind of relief.

Fortunately for me in my 3 traffic light town, we get a few snowbirds but the only traffic we get is from 2:45-3:15 when the school busses get on the road - LOL... You couldn't pay me to live anywhere near southern Florida...

I lived in Hawaii for 2 years. Many may or may not know that the "local" discount applied to basically everything. One always asked from restaurants, to luaus to any other tourist attraction simply by asking and showing a Hawaii DL.

I guess preference about this FL move depends on your political ideology. Do you see state taxpayer funded campgrounds in place to give people "fair access" to camping at a below market rate? or be a low price enticement for people to camp somewhere for a bargain then spend lots of money in the local economy while they're present?

My take is: I don't care. I didn't leave anything in FL, and tend toward anywhere else when thinking of vacation destinations. I grew up in the desert southwest and frankly dislike swampy, tropical climates.

I've just recently shifted my trucking business a bit and started running semi-regular routes down into Orlando and Tampa areas the last couple months. I think the traffic there is about the same as it was several years ago last time I was into FL on a regular basis. What most tourists don't realize is there are some really great detours if you're brave enough to exit the freeway. Sunday after Thanksgiving I had a load going into Davenport, just SW of Orlando. I ended up catching US-27 up near Reddick and got there with minutes to spare. I-75 and the FL Tpke were solid red and black on Google traffic view south of Ocala, and would have taken an hour or two longer.

Although WNY is no tourist mecca like Florida
It doesn't have the beaches, pizzaz, and marketing hype behind it. Nonetheless, after trucking all over WNY the last decade, there are a number of places I've seen that I'm eventually going to visit with the camper, and with time to explore.

I guess preference about this FL move depends on your political ideology. Do you see state taxpayer funded campgrounds in place to give people "fair access" to camping at a below market rate? or be a low price enticement for people to camp somewhere for a bargain then spend lots of money in the local economy while they're present?
The sun shines the same on Tampa, Miami and Palm Beach as it does along the panhandle of Florida, even though there may be a wee bit difference in temperature in the winter. Those areas have contrasting political leanings. And you ain't having to shovel any driveways or worry about rv steps being covered with snow drifts either. You betchu the sun blisters your skin the same too in the contrasting regions.

The sun shines the same on Tampa, Miami and Palm Beach as it does along the panhandle of Florida, even though there may be a wee bit difference in temperature in the winter. Those areas have contrasting political leanings. And you ain't having to shovel any driveways or worry about rv steps being covered with snow drifts either. You betchu the sun blisters your skin the same too in the contrasting regions.
The top 5 states with the best winters...

1. Hawaii, 2. Florida, 3. Arizona, 4. California, and 5. Colorado

Our current local Colorado forecast is nearly as good as Florida!
Screenshot_20231207_170543_Chrome.jpg

This is probably not the scene right now in Colorado. :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom