Florida State RV Parks and the hurricane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Wondering how many here might have pending reservations at Florida State Parks that will be impacted by hurricane Ian? We have reservations at Myakka, Oscar Shearer, and Highlands Hammock for this December but from what I've seen on various news & social media sites, I'm not at all optimistic that they will be able to open that quickly. Haven't called those parks yet as I assume they have enough to deal with for the time being.

Scrambling now to try and find alternate options but as I expect many others are in the same boat, that might be difficult.

From FL we were planning on going back up towards the Panhandle where we have reservations then working out way West towards TX. That leg of the trip should be OK but that still leaves a pretty big hole in December!

I think any parks close to the affected area and are still open probably will be filled up with construction workers unless you already had reservations

Wondering how many here might have pending reservations at Florida State Parks that will be impacted by hurricane Ian? We have reservations at Myakka, Oscar Shearer, and Highlands Hammock for this December but from what I've seen on various news & social media sites, I'm not at all optimistic that they will be able to open that quickly. Haven't called those parks yet as I assume they have enough to deal with for the time being.

Scrambling now to try and find alternate options but as I expect many others are in the same boat, that might be difficult.

From FL we were planning on going back up towards the Panhandle where we have reservations then working out way West towards TX. That leg of the trip should be OK but that still leaves a pretty big hole in December!
All three if those parks are currently closed, and you can check on the parks here: Storm Updates

All of our winter state parks in GA and FL have reopened, although some for day use only so far. The status at Salt Springs Recreation Area in the Ocala National Forest is still unknown since the entire forest is still closed.

All three if those parks are currently closed, and you can check on the parks here: Storm Updates
I've gone around and around on that site but there's really no information other than "park is closed" and "The park is experiencing high water levels due to recent heavy rainfall." No insights or projections as to recovery time. Again, that's understandable as I expect they have a lot to deal with and are in the early stages of assessment.

I've gone around and around on that site but there's really no information other than "park is closed" and "The park is experiencing high water levels due to recent heavy rainfall." No insights or projections as to recovery time. Again, that's understandable as I expect they have a lot to deal with and are in the early stages of assessment.
That's exactly the situation, they don't have those answers yet. Things like getting power restored are out of their hands.

We have a two year lease on a site in a Bradenton park that fared well and still has power. We’re staying north an extra month or two and letting out of state sparkies use it. Glad we can help out in this small way. Park manager says the phone is ringing nonstop… she’s coordinating places for them to stay as well as finding places they can park their cherry pickers.

Very glad we signed that lease… Florida sites are going to be harder than ever to find for a while to come.

A friend has December reservations in Polk City, FL and he tells me his park never closed either.

We’re leaving Ohio as planned (Friday, 10/7) as it’s getting in the 30s here at night…. We’ll just hang in Alabama or Georgia for a month or so.

I saw some pics of Myakka and the water was over the bridge where you view the gators. There was about 2' of water at the North gate entrance Station. Lots of trees down. I think it will take awhile for them to recover from this, it was sad to see. I would check your reservation online, they might have an update.
If I hear anything else I will post

Last edited:
That's exactly the situation, they don't have those answers yet. Things like getting power restored are out of their hands.
I got a call back from the State reservation system-- not the park itself. That woman seemed pretty confident that Myakka would be open in December. However, when I first asked if the park would be open she sounded a bit confused as if she wondered why wouldn't it be open?

Me: "Uh... the hurricane??".
She: OH, yeah!

I don't know what resource she was able to use to check the status but after checking she was quite firm that Myakka would be open.

Not willing to wager our Winter travels exactly on that one source and will keep trying to get more info. Calling the phone # to park itself just gets you a busy signal.

I got a call back from the State reservation system-- not the park itself. That woman seemed pretty confident that Myakka would be open in December. However, when I first asked if the park would be open she sounded a bit confused as if she wondered why wouldn't it be open?

Me: "Uh... the hurricane??".
She: OH, yeah!

I don't know what resource she was able to use to check the status but after checking she was quite firm that Myakka would be open.

Not willing to wager our Winter travels exactly on that one source and will keep trying to get more info. Calling the phone # to park itself just gets you a busy signal.
If Myakka's problems are mostly trees down and waiting for power to be restored, then I'd agree you're likely ok for December. Any structural damage might take a little longer though. Are you booked for a site in the Palmetto Ridge loop (staff calls it "Hollywood")? The more extensive infrastructure there might take a little longer to get straightened out than the other loops.

If Myakka's problems are mostly trees down and waiting for power to be restored, then I'd agree you're likely ok for December. Any structural damage might take a little longer though. Are you booked for a site in the Palmetto Ridge loop (staff calls it "Hollywood")? The more extensive infrastructure there might take a little longer to get straightened out than the other loops.
It does look like we reserved a site in the 'PR" loop. Been doing the Snowbird thing for a number of years but this will be the first trip in the RV.

Different circumstances, similar concerns. After the fires north of San Francisco a few years ago, FEMA filled up numerous parks with trailers for residents who were burned out of their homes and otherwise displaced. Linemen and temporary construction workers also took up a lot of space. A year later, they were just getting back to normal occupancy. Not anywhere near the destruction across Florida, but an example of the usage after a disaster.

Parks may be open, but full.

Linemen and temporary construction workers also took up a lot of space. A year later, they were just getting back to normal occupancy...
Parks may be open, but full.
Rene T mentioned a similar possibility as to the impact of construction personnel occupying park spaces. Hopefully, things will get back to at least "near normal" by December.

I think that’s wishful thinking.
Here's what the conditions are as per their "Storms Update site" which lists Myakka as closed and mentions "wet" conditions but does not mention any particular extensive damage.

HIGH WATER LEVELS​

The park is experiencing high water levels due to recent heavy rainfall. Much of the park is very wet, and many hiking trails - including the nature trail to the canopy walkway - are muddy and submerged in some locations. Boat tours are currently not running. Fisherman's Loop, boat launch, birdwalk, clay gully picnic area, and nature trail/canopy walk are currently closed due to high water levels. Big Flats campground and cabins are all closed.

Back
Top Bottom