Flounder Motor home ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kunundra

Hi there! Does anyone know anything or have any experiance with a 'Flounder' motor home? I have seen things online about it and it looks interesting to me.? They say it has full sized appliances in the kitchen which really appeals to me.? Their website is http://floundermotorhomes.com? ? Anyways I haven't seen one on the road and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them?

Kunundra said:
Hi there! Does anyone know anything or have any experiance with a 'Flounder' motor home?

Here is the text of a post on RV.Net that may answer your question.

Posted: 02/13/06 08:20pm
My wife and I have the privilege of owning the first Flounder Class A Motor Home. We took delivery of unit #1 on November 10, 2005 and have put over 12,000 miles on the coach.

We own a business that has been servicing the RV Industry for the past 19 years so we've been exposed to many different RVs. We also own a 34' Bounder and a 34' Wilderness Trailer, so we've experienced RVing in different ways. Flounder is truly unique and will revolutionize the industry again, just as John Crean did with the Bounder.

When I had the opportunity to view the first prototype of the Flounder and hear John Crean's vision for this revolutionary motor home, I knew my wife would fall in love with it and in fact she has. I was really impressed with the technological advances that were being used to build this special motor home.

For the skeptics out there, this coach is truly unique. Lighter than other motor homes; tremendous power and stability on the road (I keep my notebook computer and printer on the dinette and as we've logged the miles across country both have stayed in place - try that with other RVs); the residential appliances (dishwasher, garbage disposal, trash compactor, double-door refrigerator, stove & oven, and washer/dryer combo) work incredibly well and provide all the comforts of home; and the inverter is great. I was initially concerned about not having a propane operated refrigerator but with the inverter and the generator we've not experienced any problem with the refrigerator. In fact, it operates so well we've maintained food in there over night without power and everything kept fine.

I would highly recommend that if you are open to the new direction in motor homes, check the Flounder out. In addition to building a quality product, these guys are really committed to 100% Customer Satisfaction... and we're satisfied!!!!

Feel free to write back if you have questions.

It appears to have some nice features and the residential appliances will surely please the cook & maid. SInce most people seldom, if ever boondock or dry camp, the lack of an LP fridge is not an issue for them.

Chassis looks like a Workhorse W22, so handling and stability should be good but no better than the many other motorhomes built on this popular gas chassis.

The storage bay space looks pretty limited to me - nothing very high is going to fit. We carry several items that just wouldn't make it in those spaces.

Does anybody have an idea of the price for a rig like this?

I believe the Flounder is made by the same outfit that makes the Alfa that was started by the son of John Crean who was the father of the Bounder so to speak.  From what I have seen and heard about the Alfa See Ya I hope they do a better job on the Flounder. Think the MRSP is in the $200K range.  John Crean probably has his hands in on its design.

MSRP is $108,700, right on the home page at the web site.  This is the same price range as the Bounder.

Too much wasted space with such things as a trash compactor and dishwasher.  The only people who could benefit from all these appliances  are those living in it fulltime and willing to give up storage.  I only know one other RV'er that wants a dishwasher and none who want a trash compactor.

I found it interesting that they refer to almost everything as "full size".  As compared to what?  With all those "full size" items, there can't be a lot of storage space :)

Personally, I'd vote for a trash compactor. We have a dishwasher in the coach (it's me).

Ron from Big D said:
Too much wasted space with such things as a trash compactor and dishwasher.  The only people who could benefit from all these appliances  are those living in it fulltime and willing to give up storage.  I only know one other RV'er that wants a dishwasher and none who want a trash compactor.

Ron

I assume that "one other RV'er" is Marlene. Actually we have some friends whose coaches came with d/w's and they are now converts ;D ;D But we gave up the washer/dryer, which most full-timers have "taking up space". Wasted space is in the eye of the beholder ;) ;)

BernieD said:
Ron

I assume that "one other RV'er" is Marlene. Actually we have some friends whose coaches came with d/w's and they are now converts ;D ;D But we gave up the washer/dryer, which most full-timers have "taking up space". Wasted space is in the eye of the beholder ;) ;)

Use paper plates and don't worry about the dishwashing.  The few times you want to be fancy, then you can wash for Marlene. ;D
Now, could you see Tom using the trash compactor at Quartzsite.  We would have to hire a pickup truck to handle the weight of his trash.

The only people who could benefit from all these appliances  are those living in it fulltime and willing to give up storage.

I think it's just the opposite - great for weekender's who like to party/entertain a lot, i.e. tailgate parties, etc. But a trash compactor? C'mon now, who wants to let trash accumulate for a week or two, and then haul out a 50lb. bag of the smelly stuff?? :-\ 

I agree with Gary about the storage space. They quote cubic feet (which is great for refrigerators), but you really need to look at the height/width/depth dimensions to see if it will meet your needs.

The last I heard the msrp was about $108,000.00  Seems pretty low for all it has.

That's not bad at all. A really plush gas rig in that size range runs about $140k, though you would probably get 2-3 slides and perhaps some more amenities for that price.

I believe the Flounder is made by the same outfit that makes the Alfa that was started by the son of John Crean who was the father of the Bounder so to speak.  From what I have seen and heard about the Alfa See Ya I hope they do a better job on the Flounder. Think the MRSP is in the $200K range.  John Crean probably has his hands in on its design.
No.

I read the brochure on the page:
It doesnt have anything to do with Alfa. That's John Crean Jr's operation. Flounder is Steve Thomas'.  The MSRP is 108k. And John Crean did have something to do with designing it.  He aslo came up with the Flounder name, spiring off of his origional Bounder.

Seems like a pretty good coach for the price.

Back
Top Bottom