Flourescent lights stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Our 2005 KS3910 pusher has fluorescent lights that appear down the middle of the coach.  Each fixture has two bulbs that are 18 inches.  In the living area there are three such fixtures.  This should be similar to the 2005 Dutch Star.

The center fixture in the living area suddenly stopped working.  It is not bad bulbs.  We swapped bulbs with one of the working fixture, and they work when moved to a good fixture and the good bulbs will not work in the bad fixture.

I have not located the fuse yet, but I don't believe a fuse would only handle one of the fixtures.

What are the most likely causes of an entire fixture not working and how can we locate the problem?

Smoky,

A bad ballast and a loose connection in that order.? the ballast is unique to RVs and you shoud be able to find one at a RV store or repair shop, think Camping World etc.  The alternative is a Newmar dealer ad a new fixture.  :-((

James you took the words right out of my mouth and off my keyboard.

Hate to be so naive, but where is the ballast located and what does it look like?

As I look up at the ceiling I see the two bulbs and some kind of a metal panel between them.  I also see 4 screws around the perimeter and it looks as if unscrewing them will drop the fixture down out of the ceiling.

The ballast is inside the fixture.  You can get replacement ballasts at most well stocked RV stores.  I saw some this morning here in Yuma.  It's just a small circuit board with power in from the 12VDC lines and output lines to the bulb sockets.

Looks like the cost of the entire fixture is not much more than the ballast, and simpler to replace.  I am going to first check for voltage at the switch to be sure it is a ballast and not a wiring problem.  Small chance of any wiring problem unless we have rats in our belfry.  ;D

Thanks for all the good direct answers here.  I am glad I did not have to go on a mystery hunt.

We had a Thinlite fixture fail and I recall it was cheaper to buy the complete fixture online than it was to buy a ballast locally.

James  watch it sometimes they come in groves  LOL  I've sure had my share.  More than once.,

IF you need a ballast and its a Sunray, contact Sunbeam trailer products.  $13.95 + shipping

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom