Fluid Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
This one is for all you mechanics out there!
Our leveler control unit clearly states use Dextron III ATF or equiv. if needed.
All we can find on line is Dexron III which, I believe is hydraulic fluid.  Are they compatible? What has replaced the Dextron III.

Dexron IV replaces III and all previous versions. All ATF is hydraulic fluid, it just has friction modifiers, etc, added that an automatic transmission needs for the bands and clutches, although your leveler system does not. I suspect the leveler manufacturers design around Dexron for the convenience of the user, since it's much more readily available than plain hydraulic fluids. Dexron ATF is even available in many grocery stores...

Your poo owner's manual misspelled it. A very common occurrence.

As Chas says DexTron is a misspelling.  Your system used Dexron III, an older version of the GM Dexron ATF specification (the current version is Dexron VI). But no worries, many brands still offer "Dexron III compatible" fluids. Yes, it is a hydraulic fluid, as are all brands of ATF.

Thanks Guys!
I will pick up some Dexron IV as soon as I can. I disconnected the float pigtail. I am sick of hearing the beeping while driving. I have removed the access panel until I can remedy this.

Now if I can only get the hex plug loosened so I can add fluid. Some Hercules torqued the darn thing so tight nothing I have can tuen it.

I throw an old towel over the batteries while I'm working on the levelers.  Wouldn't want a wrench to fly out of my hand and land across the battery terminals while my head is stuck in that hole.  Then there's the fact that the slide is invariably out when I'm working there.  Hit my head on that a couple of times on the way out of the battery compartment.
Which reminds me...time to check the water again.  Got to buy a new booger bulb though, my 25 year old one is about worn out.

Hey Old Crow
How did you loosen the fill screw on the leveler reservoir? Mine is so tight nothing I have can loosen it. I can move the entire unit and the hex will not move!

Wow, I don't remember mine being that tight.  I used either a 10" Crescent wrench or maybe a pair of channel-locks.  I had it out of there quite a few times the first year, before I had the cylinders repacked.
I'll  probably never be invited back to the Fam-camp at Tinker AFB.  Left a puddle the size of a door mat on their nice concrete parking pad  :-[

I might be temped to take it to a shop and let someone else break it...er, I mean break it loose with an impact if it's really that tight.  Lefty-loosey, right?

Yes, lefty-loosey. I had a 10" crescent wrench on it with everything I had in such a cramped space. I could move the entire wall with unit.
I was hoping you would tell me it is a left hand thread.

Back
Top Bottom