Flushable wipes - ok to flush in rv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuts_up

Some are labeled safe for septic systems, is it ok to flush those?  Has anyone flushed them?  Any clogging problems?

cuts_up said:
Some are labeled safe for septic systems, is it ok to flush those?  Has anyone flushed them?  Any clogging problems?

I haven't tried it and I won't be trying it.  Best not to put paper products down that haven't passed the TP test.  Even TP claiming to be RV TP shouldn't be used until testing.  I have yet to see any RV TP that I would use in my RV.  Scotts single ply or Angel Soft are good.

Just because a manufacturer make a claim doesn't mean it is the truth. ;D

You can read about the RV Forum toilet paper test and the results of one such test in this article in our forum library. It would be interesting to see how the flushable wipes performed on this test.  *

Well... I've not used them in the RV, but I have used them in the house and yes, I had clogging problems.  I think I've solved those problems now,  but of course there is no way to be sure till it cloggs (or does not clogg) again

But a couple of drain cleaner guys said that flushable wipes were at least part of the problem (Assistants, not the main cause)  I fixed the main cause last summer

I've not used them in the RV, but I have used them in the house and yes, I had clogging problems.

Well, if John had problems with them in a stick house, you can be darned sure you'll have even worse problems clearing them out of an RV holding tank!  Remember, you don't just go in and flush something like that out.  If it plugs a hole you may have to pull the whole tank to get it clear.  Ron mentioned toilet paper.  That stuff can stick to the sensors and then you don't know you have a full black tank.  We're all REALLY careful what we put down the black tank!

Jerry has informed me after talking about some of these recent threads (this one on flushables, sanitary products, coffee grounds, etc.) that if I ever put some of this "stuff" down the drains, then he'll take over the cooking and I can take care of the tanks.  To which I replied, no thanks, sweetie.  I'll just continued being VERY careful!  ;D ;D

ArdraF

Don't offer to demomstrate in our unit    Go to yours and do it. LOL

Remember the problems I had the flushable wipes were a CONTRIBUTING factor, the main cause was somethign else (Cracked pipe roots entered) which has since been fixed  by replacing the broken section with a "Y" (Why a Y, well I have to have Some place to dump the rig, don't I)

When things are labeled "ok for use in septic systems," it does not mean RV holding tanks.  Do not flush anything foreign down the toilet of your rig.  You just don't even want to be sorry on this issue!

Betty

Back
Top Bottom