Fly Tying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

montanabound

Fly tying is a hobby I hope will fill my fulltiming years in the future. I only tie for myself and a few friends. Maybe when I go fulltime I'll share a few of them along the river bank. :D

Me too and usually have the tools and materials along whenever we take a trip. I'm not really into entymology and tend to tie something that's "close" to what I see on the water. However, I'll take along a few pattern books in case I need them.

Close is usually good enough......lol. I do the same. I'll watch what's flying around the surface and usually if I get the color and shape close it will work. A Hopper or a Adams has served me well.

There are others here, but they don't talk about it very much. OTOH our discussion might catalyze others to join in.

I am an ex fly tyer.  Gave it up and sold all my gear and materials when I went full time RVing.  Maybe a mistake, but it really does take up some room.

I must have tied about 500 Lefty Deceivers (salt water wet fly designed by Lefty Kreh) for use on the Chesapeake.

Now I just carry around 10 or 12 various types.  So maybe I can bum one off you when you are making them for your friends.  ;D

I used to tie my own flies but my ties were better than my fishing skills........so gave it up. Enjoyed it a lot though. Might get another fly rod and give it ago again?

Ah, they're coming out of the woodwork  ;D

OK!  OK! I'll come out of the closet. I fished for trout, preferably stream fishing, up to 6 or 7 years ago before the bottom dropped out, on my health. I tied most of my own flies. My favorite is the Renegade.

I love the streams in the northwest, and have fished some of the best. Have dreamed for a lifetime of going east, and fishing the Battenkill. (Did I spell it right?)

Been contemplating getting back into the game, now that we have the motorhome. The scooters might help, too! Been looking at my fly tying stuff-box, up on a shelf in the garage. Haven't gotten it down, yet, to see if anything is still in there. Checked the fly tying stuff out at a sporting goods store, the other day. Not much there that I had seen before. (Well, the hooks looked familiar.)

Got a dozen or so Mepps Necks in that box. Wonder if they are still good. Anybody know if they keep that long? Anybody here old enough to remember Mepps Necks?

Ray D

I also used to make my own lures and just checked out Netcraft...still in business. I have my fly tying vise but will have to order some of the thread and goodies. I have fur and feathers.....OK, guess I'll get to tying some flies over the next few months for next Spring. Got my interest.....should be able to catch some Carp ::)

Montana Bound:

Trout would be excellent.  These days, now that I am a land lubber,  I mostly fish inland freshwater.  Most recently the Flathead river near Hungry horse MT.  I still carry 2 sal****er fly rods (10 and 11 weight)and have one 5 weight freshwater.  Fresh water is more fun but I find it to be harder work for a number of reasons.

Put me in the fly tying category too.  We will be embarking on a long odyssey starting in June that will take us to Florida first then up to Mich for a wedding then through upstate NY and will end up in Newfoundland before heading back to Houston.  We will be fly fishing all the way.

Don

I haven't fly fished for the past 20 years. I used to tie small topwater bugs for fly fishing for small mouth bass in West Virginia.  But since moving to Arizona, I haven't tried fly fishing.  I really enjoyed fishing the Greenbrier River where the water was so clear you could see the fish coming after your lure.

In response to virtually no requests, I have taken it upon myself to establish a SIG (Special Interest Group) for those past and present corporate and self-employed workaholics, who have struggled with the daily ritual of strangling oneself with a piece of brightly colored fabric known as the necktie. This SIG will be known as the ?Tie Flyers?, whos' sole purpose is to rummage through the closet, select a tie, attach a string to it, and run madly down the street in an attempt to make it airborne. This may be done with or without the requisite 3-piece suit; nakedness being an option reserved for the very brave or incredibly stupid.

Competitions will be held at seldomly scheduled events, and points awarded for Highest Tie-Flyer (the tie; not the man), Aerial Tierobatics, Gaudiest Tie, and a special tie-pulling contest for 70?s era ties only, where hand-tied fishing flies are added as weight in increasing amounts until the tie-dyed tied-fly?ed tie, no longer flies.

Any suggestions to improve this sport including, but not limited to ?Sleep it off!?, are not welcome.     

Now I have to go and find something useful to do with the rest of my day. Or go outside and eat worms?. ::)

Methinks someone has way too much time on his hands :D

Karl said:
In response to virtually no requests, I have taken it upon myself to establish a SIG (Special Interest Group) for those past and present corporate and self-employed workaholics, who have struggled with the daily ritual of strangling oneself with a piece of brightly colored fabric known as the necktie. This SIG will be known as the ?Tie Flyers?, whos' sole purpose is to rummage through the closet, select a tie, attach a string to it, and run madly down the street in an attempt to make it airborne. This may be done with or without the requisite 3-piece suit; nakedness being an option reserved for the very brave or incredibly stupid.

Competitions will be held at seldomly scheduled events, and points awarded for Highest Tie-Flyer (the tie; not the man), Aerial Tierobatics, Gaudiest Tie, and a special tie-pulling contest for 70?s era ties only, where hand-tied fishing flies are added as weight in increasing amounts until the tie-dyed tied-fly?ed tie, no longer flies.

Any suggestions to improve this sport including, but not limited to ?Sleep it off!?, are not welcome.     

Now I have to go and find something useful to do with the rest of my day. Or go outside and eat worms?. ::)

hahah@ I need to print this out

Greetings:

My wife and I hope to begin "Truck Camping" in about 2 years.  I hope to spend lots of time flyfishing, and flytying.  I love to fish trout, but some of my best times have been fishing small ponds for panfish and bass.  Most of my trout fishing has been in Wisconsin, New York and New Mexico.  I would love to fish Montana and Alaska before I have to give it up.  I am trying to devise a way of carrying a float-boat with 8 foot pontoons on my TC.  I was hoping to strap it on the back, but our access door will probably be located there creating a real inconvenience.

In regards to flytying, I need to develop a very efficient method of storing my materials.  I have so much stuff.  The best approach may to be to pack just enough to tie  emergency flies on the trip.  Most of the production tying would be done at home in advance of the trip.

TightLines,
Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom